sunsnapper
Re: Is this website made with Xoops?

You are both right...
You get the HTML and JavaScript code, errr um, output (and any other code that is served). You don't get code that is intercepted by a preprocessor.

I think it is OK to say "you get the code" however, it is a fair point that some code may be intercepted by the preprocessor before being server, and that you only get the code from the rendered page.

djsckizo
  • 2004/8/12 13:42

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Well, when I said that I was refering to the html and what ever else is viewable by clicking "View Source", which in this case, you aren't allowed to do.

trueinfinite

hi there, i'm just popping in, but i have the answer for all of you.

i'm actually one of the oldest, and most active members on purerave, and i know how the site was made.

it was made from absolute scratch.
nearly every single character of code was written by joel kronenberg.

i'm sure he used a couple snippets of open source, but nearly the entire thing was hand coded by him.

it started off with very few features, and he added over time
originally there wre only 6 blocks on the main page, which have now expanded and allowed for customization by each user of the locations of the blocks.

you used to also be able to choose what length of article was displayed, but many left it on default, so joel eliminated that.

anyway, the entire back end, admin area, as well as all the front end was coded by joel.
i worked on the css fo a while, but joel is very busy
and we decided not to go ahead with the skinning.

there's also a few pages that are still hard coded, not css.

anyway, the site is skinnable, works on a reletively low cost server, and is very customizable. i'm sure many people wnat to get their hands on the complete site structure, but i think joel is keeping the whole thing to himself.

he's a great guy, lives in toronto, likes photography, stuffed animals, and cooking. has a good job, and does purerave out of the goodness of his heart. he loses money every year running nad maintaining the site. i've donated 400$ so far, and plan on buying joel a new server next christmas.

so, that's about as much as i've got to say about all of it.

it's worth registering, just to check out everything how it's built.
there's a few small bugs, but there's only one person really maintaining the site for over 50 thousand members.,
that's a huge job.

laters, kai

(username "!nfinite" on purerave)

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits