tedsmith
What is WF-Sections used for?
  • 2004/8/9 14:30

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Sorry to ask this, and if there is a known article somewhere with a link then I will be happy to read up, but...

Can anyone tell me what the WF-Sections module is for, specifically? Is it basically a more enhanced feature rich version of the default news module that ships with Xoops? Is if for diplaying documents as articles (other html pages, PDF files, Word Documents) or does it just provide links to documents? Using the module, could I have a link to readme.pdf and when the user clicks it is loads up etc? In other words, what features does it have that other modules don't?

Can anyone give me a link to a site where the module has been extensively used so that I can see for myself?

Thanks

tom
Re: What is WF-Sections used for?
  • 2004/8/9 15:27

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

You could say imaination.

In other words it could used for anything your imagination decides, lol.

Examples of some of what I've seen it used for:

- News
- Reviews
- FAQ's
- Financial Reports
- On-line magazine
- General Info
- Profiles of company members
- Legal section
- Tutorials
- How to's
- Gaming cheats

It's a article management module, which allows many possibilities for example your able to write a article and attach downloads to that article, including word documents, PDF, MP3's etc, etc.

The best way to find out about it would probably be to download it and give it a try.

There should also be a new release soon.

Hope this has been of help.

Anonymous
  • 2004/8/9 17:30

• Anonymous

• Since:

You are right to wonder. I have had a challenge with Wf-Sections too.

I am curious now however what is different from Wf-sections to Xfsections?

Did Xfsections come out after WF and has more features? Cuz I can't tell

Bender
  • 2004/8/9 17:50

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

XF-Sections is a fork of the 1.x WF-Section Series afaik.

Can´t say anything about XF-Sections because i never tried it. So i can´t tell you where it stands in comparison to the completely rewritten 2.x series of WF-Sections.

Anonymous
  • 2004/8/9 17:55

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Did Xfsections come out after WF and has more features? Cuz I can't tell

xfsection was first created only for private use, but then published. xfsection is based on wfsection 1.01 with some bugfixes and a few new features.

xfsection is improving from time to time, but the basis is still wfsection 1.01.

wfsection 2.01 is more or less a complete rewrite and offers much more features. Currently the wf-projects team is working on version 2.02 which will be a very powerful module.

Edit: That robot is too fast for me!

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/9 18:46

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks Tom, and others.

I had already downloaded it, but not yet used it. Had a quick look last week and was a little dominated by the amount of features I didn't quite know what I was doing. Toms explanation kind of confirms what I had thought, but wasn't sure. Perhaps someone who has used it extensively would be kind enough to give me a hyperlink to their site so I could have a look at how it actually works?

Incidentally - the new version - is that due for release soon? In other words, would I be bteer to wait before I implement it, or would it make better sense to get it up and running and then enjoy the new upgraded features when they arrive?

Cheers

tom
  • 2004/8/9 19:00

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Sorry I don't have a link for you, all my WF, as used in subscription areas for members.

To answer your other question, I believe there should be a new version released shortly.

I'm currently using the old, old, old version, lol, so I would say get it on and have a play.

There will be a upgrade script I believe.

tom
  • 2004/8/9 19:02

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Also you can check for updates here: http://www.wf-projects.com/

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/11 7:59

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Will it link to documents stored internally on an Intranet server, eg. \\servername\folder1\document.pdf? I seem to have the problem of it automatically placing 'http://' before the link so I end up with http://\\servername\folder1\document.pdf which is of course invalid.

I have the same problems using the News module (that ships with Xoops). I click on the Browse button and selct a file, and then change the beginning to \\servername\folder1\file.doc etc, and it places http:// in front of it as well!! So I try using the url link. Same problem there too!!

That said, there must be other people who use this module on an Intranet where documents are linked from areas outside of the XOOPS folder system. How do they do it? Is there a way round it?

The WF Downloads module used to have this problem but the wf-projects team kindly removed it in version 2.0.5.

Login

Who's Online

545 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 545

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits