brash
Best Books For Learning PHP & MySQL
  • 2004/8/5 4:20

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I've had enough of being a hack . I want to actually learn how PHP and MySQL work so that I can shift my career into web programming. I really like tech books that have labs and have a really well structured learning progression so that you maximize learning, without being put to sleep by boring dry text. Has anyone got any suggestions?

tedsmith
Re: Best Books For Learning PHP & MySQL
  • 2004/8/5 7:04

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I certainly have...

PHP\MySQL - Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL' by Kevin Yank, Sitepoint Publishers.
Brilliant book.

Second to that is 'PHP Fast & Easy Web Development 2nd Edition'by Julie Meloni.

Also useful is 'SAMS Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes 2nd Edtion' for a quick reference.

I say all that, but I never really got to grips with it all and so rely on the XOOPS community who are generally smarter than I am to do it for me!

Good luck

Ted

Mithrandir

JMorris
  • 2004/8/5 12:20

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

PHP & MySQL for Dummies is also a good book. I have many of the other publications mentioned, but the "Dummies" books just seem to get you into the meat and potatoes of coding faster. Not to mention, they're a lot easier to understand.

Mithrandir,

Yes, the official PHP manual is an excellent resource, but man is it ever confusing to PHP newbs, like myself.

Login

Who's Online

401 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 401

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits