twitaman
I'll be damned
  • 2004/8/3 20:06

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

Ok, so I have a shared hosting account with Interland. I have MySQL 4.0.18 and PHP 4.3.2 and XOOPS 2.0.7. I also have a MySQL database that was created by Interland when I got my account. I have the SQL Server name, user name, database name, and password. I also assigned the correct CHMODs for the directories as per the install instructions. But here's the catch since I want to install XOOPS as a test site and not interrupt the website that I already have I placed the contents of the XOOPS HTML folder in a folder I called 'OBS3'inside my server account's HTML folder. But I couldn't connect the database. I did something obviously wrong, but what?

I have found a few other threads on this topic but I wasn't clear on the details as I am new to this.

Stewdio
Re: I'll be damned
  • 2004/8/3 20:09

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Make sure the path in your mainfile.php relects the subfolder you have chosen to install XOOPS into.

twitaman
  • 2004/8/3 20:30

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

So, if I placed XOOPS into a folder called 'obs2' in my HTML folder on my website (let's call it, 'mywebsite') then the line to change in the mainfile.php file is in the 'location' part. Like this?:

('Location:http://www.mywebsite.com/obs2');

twitaman
  • 2004/8/3 20:43

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

I almost hate to asks this next question (please excuse my ignorance, I swear to jeebus I have 'normal' intelligence in most other endeavors) but is 'Database Hostname' in the XOOPS installation (where they have 'localhost') the same thing as the 'SQL Server name: ipsqlgXXXXXX.registeredsite.com' that Interland sent me? I place the 'ipsqlgXXX...' in there?

ajaxbr
  • 2004/8/3 20:50

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

You can try that, but usually "localhost" works (because usually the SQL server is at the same IP of the HTTP server, but using another port). So I'd try localhost first and if it doesn't work, the SQL Server name

JMorris
  • 2004/8/3 20:57

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Until you get more comfortable with Xoops, I don't recommend just compying your current site into a sub directory and manually editing the mainfile.php. It's do-able, but you have to be comfortable doing it.

Suggestions
1. Create a sub directory for your test site
2. Upload a fresh copy of XOOPS into the sub directory
3. Check your permissions
4. Start install as usual (meaning: navigate in your browser to the subdirectory where you uploaded XOOPS [http://www.mywebsite.com/subdir/])
5. Use the same setting for your test site as you did your production site, EXCEPT change the DB prefix to something else. (ex: Production site uses xoops_ / change testing site to test_)
6. The setup wizard will automatically detect your physical and virtual paths, don't worry about changing them.
7. Continue with the installation per usual.

Hope this helps.

twitaman
  • 2004/8/3 21:23

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

I went through it but then I got: Check database. Could not connect to the database server. Please check the database server and its configuration.

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/3 22:23

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Did you use localhost? If so and it failed, use ipsqlgXXXXXX.registeredsite.com and the password supplied by them. You may need to check with your hosts FAQ on other SQL errata.

YourHelp
  • 2004/8/4 0:45

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Local host does not always work at all. When doing my site I had to put in an IP a series of numbers. Ask the web host about this they can best help you..

Login

Who's Online

85 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 85

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits