tedsmith
Re: Adjusting the main page layout of the myAlbum -P 2.8 module
  • 2004/8/17 17:23

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I have no doubt that I am doing something wrong again here, but now I'm struggling with something else.

Having successfully got my catergories lined up the way I want them, and my logo pictures set up, I have tried to move onto changing the wording of some areas of the module. All I want to do is to be able to change the words of the module to suit my own needs. My site is for reporting lost and stolen dogs so I don't want "Rate this Photo!!" or "Add a Photo" or "Most popular Photo" if you see what I mean? It is likely to be serving a sensitive audience of upset people - I don't want people to think that I want them to 'Rate the Photo's' It is imperitive that I change these values, but I just haven't got a clue what I'm doing. I was told to edit the file \modules\myalbum\language\english\main.php and change the values in there that I need to. For example, "_ALBM_ADDPHOTO","Add Photo" has now been changed to "_ALBM_ADDPHOTO","Add Report". and saved. But no change when I visit the site. I have done keyword searches for other instances of the value but nothing? Other than that one file. Can someone please help me with this seemingly complex task?

I have noticed by the way, that I can make changes to any html file I want via the Templates system (by editing my cloned set), but php files are different. I cannot access those via the Template area, so I edit them with Dreamweaver direct on the server, then save them. I go back to the site, and nothing ever seems to change, unless I delete the clone, and then re-clone, but that is a total pain the ar*e because it means changing everything all over again. Surely this is not the only way to get changes to a php to actually show up on the website? My latest example of this is changing the date format. I had to edit the language\english\global.php file. I saved it. Went back to the site, but the dates do not change. Yet, I did this very same alteration at work today on our Intranet site, and it worked straight away? I just don't get it!

Please help me someone. I'm so desperate I could cry!!

jlm69
  • 2004/8/17 18:41

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

First to remove the rate photo's,

go to myalbum/templates/myalbum0_photo.html

look for lines 96 - 109 all related to rate photo you can delete them. But you need to go through and see how many of those template files refer to rate photo, and delete in those files too. If you make the changes through XOOPS templates, if you update the module, you will overwrite your modifications, so make the changes in the file.

As for changes not happening, Maybe the ftp you are using is cached, look for a tool that lets you clear cache in the ftp program, had that happen to me once. Also maybe use a text program to do your editing.

Hope this helps

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/17 19:13

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks for the reply, but no joy. Did what you said - opened it up in Dreamweaver first and removed the section Rate Photo. Saved it. No change. Looked at my template copy of the same file, and it was still as it was before with none of the chnages in place. So I removed it from there too and clicked update. Then, went back to the site, and clicked on the menu, and its still all there - it defies belief - its supposed to be an easy to use module and I just can't get a dam thing to change.

As for the php cache - I thought that mysefl, but I use Dreamweaver at work and it does the change immediately as soon as I save the file.

To be quite honest its driving me bloody mad and if it wasn't for all the time and effort I'd already put in I'd just jack it in, but I'll plod on for now! I know it will be something obvious because I can be quite dim at times - I just need someone to point out the obvious to me!

jlm69
  • 2004/8/17 19:34

• jlm69

• Module Developer

I think you know this, but you need to update the module after editing a template file before it will take effect.

Sounds like you don't have permission to edit that file.

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/17 19:57

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Already tried updating module, and that just scraps any changes I try to make. I've looked at permissions for the files concerned and they are 644, and I, as the owner, have read and write permissions.

jlm69
  • 2004/8/17 20:17

• jlm69

• Module Developer

You need to make the changes in the file itself, for changes to be there even after updating modules. Modifications to the template files through XOOPS admin will be wiped out as soon as you update the module.

Change the file

myalbum/templates/myalbum0_photo.html

and all files in myalbum/templates that show ratings,
There are probably a few of them,
Then update module. Then should be there, or in this case gone.
The only hard work should be finding all the template files that show ratings.

rocket98
  • 2004/8/18 0:11

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

Hey tedsmith,

I can help you with this as I have some time this evening. I've done a few mods to myalbum 2.8.3 on my production site (not listed) and would be happy to help out given some access. Send me msg here on xoops.

rocket98

Quote:

tedsmith wrote:
Already tried updating module, and that just scraps any changes I try to make. I've looked at permissions for the files concerned and they are 644, and I, as the owner, have read and write permissions.

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits