Mandarine
Justify your CMS choice : XOOPS...
  • 2005/5/4 10:06

• Mandarine

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/11

Hi !

Has anybody ever had to justify his XOOPS choice for a professional portal ?

How did you justify XOOPS vs. ZOPE, PHPNuke and others ? What were your arguments ? What kind of tool (graph, table, diagram) did you use ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

m0nty
Re: Justify your CMS choice : XOOPS...
  • 2005/5/4 10:30

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i can't say as a business commercial justification for my choice as it was more personal than business when i 1st chose xoops.

but my main reasons were:

easy to install, more secure than nuke sites (just searching google and hacker sites that i know gave me enough to come to that conclusion).

i liked it's usability, and the support on the forums was excellent from 1st reading. and u must realise when myself and many others 1st started using XOOPS there were NO FAQ sections or practically any docs and user guides at all other than brief articles etc unlike there is today thanks to many members contributions.

from a non programmers point of view some of the coding was pretty clean to me and easyish to follow the logic in some of it allowing me to at least learn some functions and be able to hack the code to a certain extent.. i still don't know php, but if u at least understand logic gates like u were taught at school.. (well i was an electrical engineer and plc programmer so i understand logic gates) you can to some extent compare that logic with php functions (if, not, else, and, nor, nand) etc terminology is different but the reasoning is there, so some of it is followable even if u don't understand the rest of the code.

the fact it's free played another key justification too.

i could see it's potential from the start and also the continuing development unlike i think post nuke which was pretty frustrating to get support for from reading around etc.. and i believe phpnuke is not Free anymore either

being able to use IPB forum with it also played a major part for me as i like IPB forums (altho it pissed me off when IPB went commercial and started charging) but i still use x-ipb today (which is free for v 1.4) and it's pretty well supported imho.

i can't think of any other reasons at moment but i'm sure there are :)

Mandarine
  • 2005/5/4 11:10

• Mandarine

• Just popping in

Pretty good explaination :)

XOOPS replies perfectly to your needs for your personal use...

If anybody has his own point of view for a personal use or a professional use, please follow m0nty

If you have justified your choice for a professional project, could you lend me your files :).

kaotik
  • 2005/5/4 13:03

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

When justifing using XOOPS for comercial sites, normally the client doesn't even know what a cms is so it's more a question of explaining the benefits of using a solution such as Xoops. On those rare ocasions where I had to justify using XOOPS instead of another cms my reasons have been:
- Strong group managment. XOOPS allows for pages to be customized towards individual groups. Companies generally function using group hierarqies and (if they know it's possible) also want this translated into their sites.
-Highly customizable. Just turn on the themes block, change to a couple of themes and generally any CEO will be sold on Xoops. I do realize that other cms's also have themeing, but XOOPS is very strong in this area.
- Strong comunity. The community has provided many modules and is always available to assist.
-Easy coding, the way modules work in XOOPS allows even a php noob such as myself to easily hack modules to fit the needs of a particular company.

Herko
  • 2005/5/4 13:09

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I'm at the PHP Conference now, and have been explaining the benefits of XOOPS a lot these 2 days. I always say that we have a secure, stable, flexible and extensible core, had a feature freeze for 2 years so module developers have a stable platform to build their modules for, and have many many modules available. Also, I explain the power of the permissions system, if it is implemented by the modules correctly (I use newbb2 as an example of it's power, news 1.3 as an example too). Basically, with the stable core and large development community, almost anything is possible. The support community I also mention, but that's more a consideration for the company building the site then the one using it (as they are responsible for the support contracts).

Herko

Mandarine
  • 2005/5/4 14:26

• Mandarine

• Just popping in

Thanks for your answer.

But nobody justify his choice comparing two CMS XOOPS and an other ?
Companies don't even know CMS and that's why you don't have to compare two CMS, isn't that ?

m0nty
  • 2005/5/4 15:02

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

mithrandir did an excellent thread well over a year ago i think now in which he compared various CMS systems with XOOPS for a project of his at university i think.. if i can find the thread i'll post it you later unless he sees this thread and responds..

also Brash did some extensive speed testing i believe too which could also give you some comparison.. i'll have a search for them later.

Mandarine
  • 2005/5/9 8:01

• Mandarine

• Just popping in

I've tried to see every post written by mithrandir but they're too many :-/

So I'm waiting for your post impatiently :)
If you don't post I'll try to contact mithrandir by PM

Thank you Monty

Mithrandir

Mandarine
  • 2005/5/9 13:23

• Mandarine

• Just popping in

My preview of this document enables me to thank you very much.
MVC approach is well detailed and you have compared many famous CMS : exactly what I search for.
Unfortunately you have not written this document in French ^^ LOL. (it's a joke...).

I'll analyze it more in detail... but it seems to be a real good job :)

Thanks very much Mithrandir.

Login

Who's Online

518 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 518

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits