GOwin
wordbook v0.99 - comments, reports, feedback
  • 2004/4/11 4:38

• GOwin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/2 9

I installed wordbook v0.99, and thereafter decided to change my theme. when i viewed my site, i got a blank page. i turned on debugging and got:
Quote:
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/z/public_html/mysite/modules/wordbook/blocks/random_term.php on line 64

what gives?

hsalazar
Re: wordbook v0.99 - blank page after a change of theme
  • 2004/4/11 6:14

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

GOwin:

Try this: openn your file modules/wordbook/blocks/random_term.php and look for the offending line, number 64. It contains a rather large string with variables.

Please try replacing

$xoopsModule->dirname()

with

$module_name

And tell us if this solves the problem...

Cheers.

GOwin
Re: wordbook v0.99 - blank page after a change of theme
  • 2004/4/11 10:23

• GOwin

• Just popping in

that's it. it's working now. thanks.

by the way, I would also like to report that for a while , I wasn't able see the module button from the admin page. i have to go to system admin>modules and get the admin page from there.

everything's working fine now. could it be cache related?

GOwin
links not displayed right when browsing entries
  • 2004/4/12 1:39

• GOwin

• Just popping in

On my site, there are entries that have links in them. (ie synonyms of the word). When browsing these terms, I don't see them as links but as text:
See <a href="http://mysite/modules/wordbook/entry.php?entryID=4" target="_blank">entry</a>...

when i edit entries with links, i get the html tag "A href..." tags instead of the URL BB tag.

(hmm ... did i explain myself right there?)

GOwin
why "wordbook" instead of the name i give to my module?
  • 2004/4/12 1:50

• GOwin

• Just popping in

I'm wondering as to why it wordbook doesn't follow the usual convention of displaying the name I give to a module instead of displaying "wordbook".

(ie when i go the the wordbook module as a user i can see:
"Browse by Category > Wordbook > F"

where I would rather have the name ("Dictionary" in my case) instead:
"Browse by Category > Dictionary > F"

(I know I can just edit the template, but I just want to provide a feedback on this. )

GOwin
feature request - illustrations
  • 2004/4/12 2:01

• GOwin

• Just popping in

how about adding images for illustration purposes?

hsalazar
Re: feature request - illustrations
  • 2004/4/12 3:01

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

GOwin:

I haven't seen what you report about links. So far the only attention I had given to the subject was the URL field, in which you only type the URL and it gets converted to a link instead of being displayed as text (this is accomplished using the function makeClickable).

Let me check on this. Take this into account: any textarea is sanitized using displayTarea, a function that, depending on the value of the relevant variables ($html, $smiley and $xcode) calls other functions to transform the text. Since Wordbook works by default with all values set to "1", if you have bbCode it will be translated to HTML for display purposes (your browser doesn't "speak" bbCode).

There's one thing that happens in the sanitizer: line 287 reads:

$text =& $this->makeClickable($text);

Since this is outside any conditionals, I interpret it as meaning that all text passes through the makeClickable function. This function (lines 130-135), in turn, searches for strings that might seem as links, so my guess, without having tested it, is that you don't need to write actual < a> tags in the text, but just write the link and it will be converted. The problem with this is I don't know if this will let you then edit the text. It's worth trying, though, and the certain thing is that the function displayTarea is here to stay.

As to your comment about the module's name, the variable used is the directory because if you change the name of the module but it still resides in the directory Wordbook, you need to be able to access it. You'd need to change the install directory. In this I'll try, in the future, to follow the logic explained by daigoro in another very interesting thread about cloning modules, but for the moment that's the way it's set. Sorry.

As to images, you should be able to use them following my comments here. The problem is that the image will appear also in the block. I read Catzwolf has a solution for this, a summary function that strips the text from links and images to show just text in the teasers. I'll look after that code and if possible will implement it so that only the actual definition shows images.

This is for the moment what I can say.

Cheers.

GOwin
Re:
  • 2004/4/12 3:31

• GOwin

• Just popping in

Carnuke reported the same problem ahead of me. look at this carnuke's page (which I picked from the wordbook v0.99 news thread)

Please take note of the "Meridional Rays" entry where you'll see the html code "<a href="ht..." near the end of the entry.

Or "Snell's Law" where the text formatting "<i>n</i> to a lower <i>n</i> w..." can be seen.

Thanks for the quick response.

Hmm ... I deactivated the wordbook module when I reported about my problem with themes. Now that's it's on again, I can't find the random term block though I've set it to visible already.

GOwin
error - random terms block not shown
  • 2004/4/12 6:32

• GOwin

• Just popping in

i turned on php debug and i got:
Quote:
Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM' or `'('' in /home/zeus/public_html/ismash/modules/wordbook/blocks/random_term.php on line 14

GOwin
Re: error - random terms block not shown
  • 2004/4/13 6:29

• GOwin

• Just popping in

*bump*

help please.

Login

Who's Online

249 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 249

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits