tedsmith
My Fox-Hunting Poll is being Acccued of Being Rigged
  • 2004/10/26 19:33

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

A quick question

Three users have sent me mails today saying that they cannot register their view in my poll because it says they have already voted once, but they apparently have not.

I have set the poll to only allow one vote per user. Is there anything that may have caused this, or are they blatently lying?

The reason I ask is because it is an opinion poll of fox hunting. Today, I have had an influx of traffice and 70 or so votes have been cast against the BAN of the sport - i.e. pro-huntsman.

They have been quite harsh about it and are accusing me of rigging the vote etc.

Can anyone tell me whether a) a browser setting may be preventing thier vote and b) whether anyone could go and try to place a vote, and let me know whether they succeed.

Thanks

Ted

krystinevo
Re: My Fox-Hunting Poll is being Acccued of Being Rigged

Hi Ted,

Dunno about the browser setting question... but I was able to go and vote.

(The results of the poll so far are fascinating btw).

Take care,

Kristine

m0nty
Re:My Fox-Hunting Poll is being Acccued of Being Rigged
  • 2004/10/26 19:55

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

are they registered and logged on?

if they aren't registered, maybe they're using the same isp network or proxy setup with their isp when they connect.. as a guest to the site it would record the IP of the voter, so if some1 else uses the same pc and connection or some1 uses the same proxy etc it will think it's the same person tryin to vote twice..

best advice is for them to register and then vote..

aside from that..

you chose a poll subject that i'm afraid makes the people with money act like hooligans as it's a touchy subject.. 1 which i agree.. fox hunting should be banned it's an outdated and unnecessary sport (actually is it a sport, more like massacre) they say it's part of the english heritage.. hmm so was shooting a welshman for sport on any day except sunday at 1 time or other, but you don't see us doing that anymore.. even tho that law is still there and not revoked.. lol

my best advice is explain what i said above, or tell them to grow up.. either way pissin off the rich upper class snobs oughta become a sport..;)

tedsmith
  • 2004/10/26 20:37

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks guys. I have now politely said that I know people can vote who have not already voted, and if they register I may be able to help them more! . They were not registered users, and I suspect a group of pro-hunters in the same large organisation! They had different IP's, but so do Proxy users.

Thanks

Ted

tedsmith
Re:My Fox-Hunting Poll is being Accused of Being Rigged
  • 2004/10/29 18:43

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

I got my mate to try and vote the other day, and he uses NTL and has built his own network at home. He said he had the same problem - it just said he had already voted.

So it must be to do with the ISP's the users use to access the net. Most of the complaints have been from people using AOL. I realise some ISP's use Proxy servers so I wonder if that is the problem, but surely the XOOPS Poll module is able to accept multiple votes from Proxies? Otherwise, only about 10 people would ever be able to vote?

Any thoughts?

tjnemez
  • 2004/10/29 21:01

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

worked fine for me ted. must say i am a little surprised by the amount of support for such a sport.

tedsmith
  • 2004/10/29 23:08

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

This is the problem - until a week ago, about 40 people had voted - nearly all were'Yes - It should be banned'. Then, all in the last few days, a whole flock of pro-huntsman have come to the sight (I'm trying to find out from which source because they wouldn't have just come accross a sight like mine) and sabotaged my poll by all clicking 'No - It shoudln't be banned'. You'll notice the total votes is now about 250! A small percentage (about 10%) e-mail me telling me they cannot vote, and then my mate tried for me and he couldn't vote either.

Its really very odd. Are you using an NTL Broadband service too, or AOL? I think it is the NTL ISP that is causing the problem.

RachelVirago

I have a lot of trouble with ntl and aol.

Mostly that they reject mail from my domain. Makes it inconvenient for genuine members.

Also have a member(s) we suspect is playing around on anonymous proxy server(s).

If I could get a definitive list of these I think I would ban the lot. Can anyone give me any pointers in this direction?

Regards

Peekay
  • 2005/3/22 15:10

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Whether XOOPS correctly identifies an NTL user's real IP address or just their NTL proxy server, depends on the script it uses (of which I have not a clue). However, the good folks over at the 'unofficial' NTL forum at www.chetnet.co.uk helped me resolve a similar issue recently.

The following script reveals the user's real IP.
function getIP()
{
   $ip;
   if (getenv('HTTP_CLIENT_IP')) $ip getenv('HTTP_CLIENT_IP');
   else if(getenv('HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR')) $ip getenv('HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR');
   else if(getenv('REMOTE_ADDR')) $ip getenv('REMOTE_ADDR');
   else $ip 'UNKNOWN';
   return $ip;
}

You can then display the user's IP with:
echo getIP();

As a double-check, to quote Chetnet member Chris W.

Quote:

just to double check which one you are blocking, you can do an nslookup on the ip->
something in this form:
Name: cache2-bstl.server.ntli.net
Address: 62.255.0.xx
is a proxy... whereas if it looks like this:
Name: cpc1-cosh5-3-0-custxxx.cos2.cable.ntl.com
Address: 81.102.84.xxx
it is an individual user

Hope this may be of some help.

RachelVirago

Thanks, I'm no coder but will try to get my head round that, always helps to have a pointer in the right direction.

Login

Who's Online

247 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 247

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits