-DJNZ-
Simplifying the look of NewBB2
  • 2005/3/16 22:36

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

Is it just me, or does NewBB2 look confusing compared to other forums?

Apologies for cross-posting, but I seem to have posted this message on the least vistited forum on this site ;)

jegelstaff
Re: Simplifying the look of NewBB2

It's not just you.

We have clients asking us to strip features out of newBB 1 because they find it's too cluttered! I think they would faint if they saw newBB 2.

--Julian

brash
  • 2005/3/16 23:08

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Strip features out of NewBB 1 ? Wow, that would certainly be a very uncluttered interface

banned
  • 2005/3/17 1:00

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/16

Hell, newbb - as a module that uses smarty - is one of the most easy constumizable forum in the net.
In about 20 minutes you can remade the main aspect of your forum - tweaking the 'post' template, right?

>Strip features out of NewBB 1
Confused too..

-DJNZ-
  • 2005/3/17 10:23

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

Quote:
jegelstaff wrote:

It's not just you.

We have clients asking us to strip features out of newBB 1 because they find it's too cluttered! I think they would faint if they saw newBB 2.
--Julian

Quote:
brash wrote:
Strip features out of NewBB 1 ? Wow, that would certainly be a very uncluttered interface

It would be a shame to strip out access to features just because they clutter the interface, but I don't like the way NewBB forces its features right in your face! I am thinking along the lines of hiding most of the options with DHTML reveals something like this.

Quote:
banned wrote:

Hell, newbb - as a module that uses smarty - is one of the most easy constumizable forum in the net.
In about 20 minutes you can remade the main aspect of your forum - tweaking the 'post' template, right?

Smarty is the main reason I use XOOPS. I am surprised that despite the large number of 'themes' available for XOOPS there are very few alternative template sets for the key modules. In fact the post template doesn't bother me much, it is the forum list and forum view that I don't like. Particularly for the first-time visitor, the 'signal to noise ratio' is just too low. I hate to say it, but PHPbb does have an uncluttered look - just look at smarty's own forum.

-DJNZ-
  • 2005/4/2 4:02

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

Well I have done some work on the flat message template: I would appreciate any comments on this test forum.

limecity
  • 2005/4/2 4:22

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

newbb2 is abit too advance for some users. its more to tech savvy people.

I do wonder if the DHTML and some buttons are slowing down the page load?

I removed the pdf, print, voting, view mode, rating feature since no one really ever uses them.

-DJNZ-,
i like what you did in the demo site.

tjnemez
  • 2005/4/2 4:35

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

according to phppp a lite newbb is on the way. check this link:
https://xoops.org.cn/modules/newbb/viewpost.php?lang=english

please note this site is slow to load.

-DJNZ-
  • 2005/4/2 10:42

• -DJNZ-

• Just popping in

Quote:

limecity wrote:
newbb2 is abit too advance for some users. its more to tech savvy people.

You are right - I want to change that, at least for visitors (although I have cleaned up the admin links as well - boy was that hard in the template because they are hard-coded in PHP. I think I will end up forking NewBB2 to make it more Smarty-friendly, but for now everything is in a template).

Quote:

I do wonder if the DHTML and some buttons are slowing down the page load?

I removed the pdf, print, voting, view mode, rating feature since no one really ever uses them.

I am working on the basis of keeping all the functionality in the core templates. There are already options in NewBB2 to turn some things off (like ratings): I am planning to add a module to set options for the other things.

Quote:

i like what you did in the demo site.

Thanks - wait till I have finished the viewforum template, that is looking really good.

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits