slowlove
View topics in left menu
  • 2004/1/20 7:41

• slowlove

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/20

Hi, I'm just new to Xoops, and this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find any info on it in the FAQ.

When you publish news in a topic, the topic is linked at the top of the lead-in box, which is great - you can click on it, and see the other articles in the topic.

But -- this of course only applies to news items that are currently visible on the page. For example, I could have a "movies" topic that isn't immediately visible on my front page - how will people know that the topic exists?

Is there any way (either within the core or as a module maybe) that we can have a list of the topics that exist, down the left side of the page? It seems to me that it would be an obvious requirement for many users. Is there a way that this can be done?

Thanks in advance for any help...

MadFish
Re: View topics in left menu
  • 2004/1/20 9:24

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Hi

Yep, no problem. Just make a custom menu block with your topics listed in it. You can make new blocks through the form at the bottom of the admin/block page.

carnuke
  • 2004/1/20 9:37

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Helo Slowloven and welcome to the XOOPS forums

I don't use the news module much so, Im not completely familiar. I guess you really want an automatic clickable list of say the last X-posts displayed in a side column. I am not sure how you go about this, although in principle it should be possible. Try using search in this forum, there's probably lots on the news module

Richard

kahumbu
  • 2004/1/20 11:00

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

You have to make a custom block. You can use bbcode or HTML, although I find it easier to work with HTML.

The important thing to consider is the structure of the menu. Open up the Main Menu template. Study the structure. Take note of the Table and TD classes (for the CSS). These classes are important in the way it is rendered.

Good luck!

CBlue

Like the others said above, just create your own custom block and add links to all your topics into it. That way people know what topics you have. Or you can just use the news topics block, which is a drop down menu that lists all the topics in your news section.

You could also use the spotlight module and change the news article that's seen in the spotlight block everyday to a different news article, so that you can "spotlight" any news, old or new, that you want your visitors to read.

Login

Who's Online

124 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 124

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits