Zap_English
xLanguage Definitive Answers

I've seen lots written about xlanguage but no definitive answers and no complete instructions. So let's see if we can get some answers once and for all.

1) you install xLanguage as a regular module.

2) Is there html code or something to put in your nav bar (assuming your using xbootstrap) that will show flags or a language drop down? How do the users switch between languages?

3) the instructions state

Quote:

2 select basic languages (from an available language list) and add extended languages (upon a selected basic language) from module admin page
for instance, to make language switch between: English, Simplified Chinese (gb2312), Traditional Chinese (big5) and UTF-8 Chinese:
base 1: name: english; description(optional): English; charset: iso-8859-1; code: en (or anyother like "xen", not a true language code, just the tag for indicating English content)
base 2: name: schinese; description(optional): Simplified Chinese; charset: gb2312; code: zh (or anyother like "sc", not a true language code, just the tag for indicating Chinese content)

When go into the admin page the ONLY language to select as a basic language in the drop down is English. So where do the other languages come from?

Zap_English
Re: xLanguage Definitive Answers

And please, everyone, for the sake of continuity lets not get ahead of ourselves and only answer the questions one at a time. Maybe then we can finally have a good tutorial on how to use xlanguage

mjoel
  • 2016/6/3 15:55

• mjoel

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/12/9

Quote:

Zap_English wrote:

When go into the admin page the ONLY language to select as a basic language in the drop down is English. So where do the other languages come from?

Hi

What i did in my xoops site to make xlanguage work is

1. Go to your cpanel file manager duplicate the english folder inside the folder below and rename the folder to your language..as example from english to russian,chinese etc

a.Root/language
b. modules/system/language/

And start translating the content of the files inside to your language...

if you lucky enough check your local xoops support site..maybe language translation available to download

You should can see your language in the admin side

Dont forget to check all language folder inside each of your installed module to see if your language is availabe..if not you have to repeat the duplication of english folder for each module

2. Setup the xlanguage module as in the instruction...activate the language selection block..

3. To translate content in block or in cotent module use tag example below
[en]myname is mjoel[/en]
[rs]....[/rs]
Hope this help

Zap_English

At the moment I'm having my secretary translate all the system files and language files for the modules I'm using to Ukrainian

Here's a question for Mamba.

As the "Parent" for xoops, and the site where all the new core releases come from, why aren't all the translated system files in each install, or at least available here?

When you do a new install the first thing it asks for is language, and of course, the only option is English. How about ALL the translated system files being there.

There are these different xoops sites, xoops France, xoops Germany, etc

Why aren't you asking them to submit the translations for inclusion in the core releases?

Mamba
  • 2016/6/4 11:34

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

The translations are available on:

a) Transifex - our first choice for translations
b) GitHub (imported from Sourceforge) as a backup

I am currently running a batch file that will extract individual languages from the above GitHub repository and add them as individual repositories to XOOPS Languages on GitHub. It is very slow, and right now we're at Galician. Once this is done, as an alternative to Transifex, you'll be able to fork it and update it, but I still recommend to use Transifex. Maybe your secretary could use it to translate XOOPS 2.5.8 into Ukrainian?

Or you can try it to do it on GitHub - I have created a repository for Ukrainian language

More info about XOOPS Translations is in the Translation forum

For XOOPS 2.5.7 info, incl. link to a Transifex tutorial, please read this thread
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mamba
  • 2016/6/4 13:25

• Mamba

Quote:
I've seen lots written about xlanguage but no definitive answers and no complete instructions. So let's see if we can get some answers once and for all.

You'll need to go to our GitBook repository of Tutorials

Resized Image

There you'll find the xLanguage Tutorial
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Zap_English

Here's a stupid question

We've been translating the core and some modules to Ukrainian

We have not found, in any file,

Main Menu
Home

Where are they located?

Cesagonchu

Thx for your translations Zap_English

Tutorial for translations is here.

There are 129 language files to be placed in the core. Fortunately for XOOPS 2.6.0, there will be only about 2 or 3.

Translation for Xoops 2.5.8 here.

Translation for xLanguage here.

All transifex translations for Xoops are here.

Mamba
  • 2016/7/8 10:56

• Mamba

Quote:
We have not found, in any file,

Main Menu
Home

They are in the Core, so you don't have to translate them any more in the modules.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Zap_English

what file in the core? We can't find them

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits