vmax2extreme
recatpcha setup?

Since I just upgraded to 2.5.6 I need to setup my recaptcha for spam protection. Searching around, I cant recollect where to find the place in the admin console to reset the keys....Can someone tell me where to find this setting?

Also, did I read right that 2.5.6 uses the new image over text recaptcha now for better site spam protection?

Thanks,.....

Mamba
Re: recatpcha setup?
  • 2013/7/25 9:41

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You can change the recaptcha config settings in:

/class/captcha/config.recaptcha.php

However, it seems that the most success is stopping spam is to use the "text" captcha. You can select which captcha you want to use in:

/class/captcha/config.php

where you can set the default mode:

'mode' => 'text',
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

vmax2extreme

I recollect in 2.5.5, I was able to reset my captcha keys in one of the admin sections of the website? Did that change in 2.5.6?

Mamba
  • 2013/7/25 11:18

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I recollect in 2.5.5, I was able to reset my captcha keys

I assume, you mean reCaptcha. You can reset the keys in:

/class/captcha/config.recaptcha.php
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

vmax2extreme

Looking at my backup files, they werent setup there and worked fine. Again, I was on my website in the admin console section where I was able to place my keys on a config page. I dont see that field anymore on the website. I havent used the actual file to setup the keys. Not familiar with how to enter them there....

vmax2extreme

I have gone to the /class/captcha/config.recaptcha.php file and entered my private/public keys, but the register.php still gives the response of "To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key fromhttps://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin/create"? Not sure why this is not working now? Permissions are read, write execute to the file.

Any suggestions?

xoobaru
  • 2013/7/25 16:19

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Why not use the local captcha instead of Google? Google is a great search engine, but it has a dark side. As a condition to give you free use of API's and analytics, it collects detailed logs on your sites users and makes them available to their datamining clients.

Like the NSA.
Better to use local resources.

vmax2extreme

How would you accomplish this?

xoobaru
  • 2013/7/25 18:05

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

You can use the noscript and ghostery addons in Firefox to see when your browser is attempting various api calls to Google, Yahoo and others. When you are in a regististration page that uses apis.google.com or recaptcha.googe or whatever these will tell you that there is a third party dependency.

Using the standard n + n captcha in XOOPS 2.5.6 standard profile, there are no observable dependencies, however several versions of profile modules have made use of Google recaptcha, Wishcraft seems to love those third party dependencies for some reason. I believe as Mamba says you can configure to third party recaptcha if you want to.

PIWIC is a good independent analytcs script for local use that uses a JS tag, much like Google Analytics does. Downside is that if uses disable their JS, you go dark on their visit.

AWSTATS or WEBALIZER use server log and provides general stats, but do not provide user level tracking analytics.

None of these phone home to the Google/Yahoo/MS big brother ratpack.

XOOPS also has TDMStats and irmtfans User Log modules, but I have flagged what looked like XSS errors from the former.

vmax2extreme

All those sound foreign to me since I am not a very savy webmaster. I know in 2.5.5 and prior the catpcha integration was nice and simplistic. Mamba stated to configure those two captcha files in the /class/captcha folder which I did, but it still didnt work. I just want to get what was working up and working again since we anticipate a lot more traffic by next week to our site. Perhaps Mamba will chime in with suggestions. I am fine with what I had if it really still works in this redesigned 2.5.6 version.

Quote:

xoobaru wrote:
You can use the noscript and ghostery addons in Firefox to see when your browser is attempting various api calls to Google, Yahoo and others. When you are in a regististration page that uses apis.google.com or recaptcha.googe or whatever these will tell you that there is a third party dependency.

Using the standard n + n captcha in XOOPS 2.5.6 standard profile, there are no observable dependencies, however several versions of profile modules have made use of Google recaptcha, Wishcraft seems to love those third party dependencies for some reason. I believe as Mamba says you can configure to third party recaptcha if you want to.

PIWIC is a good independent analytcs script for local use that uses a JS tag, much like Google Analytics does. Downside is that if uses disable their JS, you go dark on their visit.

AWSTATS or WEBALIZER use server log and provides general stats, but do not provide user level tracking analytics.

None of these phone home to the Google/Yahoo/MS big brother ratpack.

XOOPS also has TDMStats and irmtfans User Log modules, but I have flagged what looked like XSS errors from the former.

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits