chefry
Xoops and Android/iPhone advice
  • 2013/3/13 17:44

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

I need some advice on something I want to do on a couple of my websites.

I'm interested in building an Android/iPhone app to send a daily recipe to the users.

I looked at the Google Android SDK and at some web based services for creating apps.

My concern is about content.

I want to send one recipe a day to users. I realize that if someone doesn't active the app for a couple of days, they will receive a couple of days of content.

BUT....

All the web based apps I found say they pick up content from the RSS feed on your website.

The problem with that is I am continually updating my website with recipes. I do not want a user to get 50 or 100 recipes a day. I want them to get the one specific recipe that I send every day.

So, can someone give me some advice on how to do this?

Dante7237
Re: Xoops and Android/iPhone advice
  • 2013/3/13 19:06

• Dante7237

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/5/28

I think a newsletter type of thing should work well for that. Aren't there 1 or 2 of those functional and being taken care of?

chefry
  • 2013/3/13 19:24

• chefry

• Home away from home

not what i'm looking for

redheadedrod

I don't know if publisher will allow you to do this but with RSS there should be different "Channels" available which you could devote one to a daily recipe. Since I have not messed with RSS feeds yet I can not offer much help in this area. I have only been exposed to them and not sure how they work.

chefry
  • 2013/3/14 14:24

• chefry

• Home away from home

back in the day, when my site was all hard coded html i used some rss but it won't work with xoops. i'll have to do it separately.

i was thinking of a newsletter, as previously suggested, but unfortunately there is nothing available here or in the SVN that will run on 2.4.5

And the legacy copies of simplenewsletter are gone

xoobaru
  • 2013/3/15 0:35

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Do you want full auto, or are you manually selecting the entree de jour?

if publisher has a rss feed per topic/category:
for manual, create a separate topic or category under publisher that you can permission articles into and out of in daywide intervals and cache it for less than a day. You can point your app straight to this feed.

For unattended auto (latest recipe at time of daily update) xhld syndicaton module can be set for max rss length of 1, you have to do in both the feed setup and preferences.

Set up a new feed under xhld and point it at whatever publisher RSS feed, remembering to set to 1 item only. It has a setting called fetch cache that you can set to 1440 (minutes in a day) that acts as a cache locking it in, and an update trigger upon expiration.

Point your app to the RSS url in xld0 feed and you are in business. It should always show the latest every day.

It is dated (2004), but it tests okay for 2.5.5, so should work for you.

chefry
  • 2013/3/15 7:45

• chefry

• Home away from home

hummmm.... i wonder if it could be pointed to the publisher random item block

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits