Anonymous
What to use for site backup?
  • 2012/12/4 15:49

• Anonymous

• Since:

I am looking for a tool for scheduling automatic website backups (both sql and files). I am testing a 30 days evaluation version from Sitevault pro now. It does both using ftp and seems do the job very well.

I wonder what other xoopsers use for backing up their sites. In my case I want to backup from shared hosting to my home computer (I use both Windows and MacOS). Any suggestions?

Dante7237
Re: What to use for site backup?
  • 2012/12/4 16:50

• Dante7237

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/5/28

I use FileZilla, but its a manual process. A recurring automation feature would be nice.

If anyone knows how to make that happen, I'm listening.

Some hosts have a backup feature listed on the cPanel menu.

Anonymous
  • 2012/12/4 17:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
I use FileZilla, but its a manual process. A recurring automation feature would be nice.

I want daily backups so manual ftp is no solution. Besides that, a site like nlxoops.nl is 360 MB now. Sitevault makes incremental backups (only changed files since previous backup), which is much faster. For nlxoops it takes one or two minutes daily to update backup with SV now.

Other nice feature is the database backup also uses ftp (a little script is uploaded to the site for that). So the whole site gets back upped in one job.

I know there are more solutions offering similar options, so I am curious what other xoopsers use for backup!

Mamba
  • 2012/12/4 18:17

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I would use cron script, doing daily, weekly, and monthly backups.

Then you can download manually once a month (or once a week) a backup file to your PC.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Peekay
  • 2012/12/4 18:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

For an all-in-one solution, SiteVault gets my vote. I have recommended it several times here on XO.

If the site has no file uploads from users, I use PHPMySQLAutoBackup. This emails a compressed version of your database to your email address. It is also mentioned in this post.

It's free too.

redheadedrod

I would suggest a mixed backup plan. Those incremental backups are fast but when you want to restore you may find you have issues if you only do incremental for too long.

In order to restore a backup with incremental backups you have to restore the original and then each incremental backup in order and if any of those incremental backup files get corrupted then you loose anything from THAT incremental backup on.

Depending on the traffic on your site I would strongly suggest a weekly or biweekly full backup with daily incremental backups to keep your backups as fresh as possible. For long term backup I would take the first full backup of the month and store it elsewhere. All depends on how much work you want to do to restore and how important a data loss is as well as how busy your site is.

If your site has very little activity and the activity isn't very important then you might be able to get away with a monthly full backup and weekly incremental backups. Just be aware that you loose everything since your last backup and with incremental backups if one is bad then any backup in the series after it is also no good.

Rodney

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits