irmtfan
Xoops Core class criteria limitations LEFT JOIN and WHERE EXISTS
  • 2012/10/15 6:49

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

The criteria class in xoops core can provide some API for better coding.
it is located in xoops255/class/criteria.php

for example you can add clauses like this:
$mycriteria = new CriteriaCompo();
$mycriteria->add(new Criteria('uid''(' implode(','$userid) . ')''IN'));
$mycriteria->add(new Criteria('subject'NULL'IS NOT NULL'), 'OR');

but i found some limitations in it:
1- Can not add a table by "LEFT JOIN"
2- Can not accept "EXISTS" and "NOT EXISTS" in WHERE clause.
see this:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/exists-and-not-exists-subqueries.html

i need to add WHERE NOT EXISTS(criteria) in newbb.

So my question is am i right and there is no way for the above in the current class?

Also if you find other limitations please express because maybe we can send it to feature request.

zyspec
Re: Xoops Core class criteria limitations LEFT JOIN and WHERE EXISTS
  • 2012/10/15 15:33

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

irmtfan,

There is some join functionality available through the object handler functions by using the '...byLink' methods in the object handler. There are a couple of 'unique' steps required to get them to work as expected. Look at the comments in ./class/model/joint.php. You will have to initialize the 'table_link', 'field_link', and 'field_object' vars before you can use the '...byLink' methods.

Can you send me an example of the query you want to use that contains the "EXISTS" (or "NOT EXISTS")? I can look to see if I can find a way to make it work. I'm not sure there's a 'clean' implementation without extending the XoopsModelRead class.

irmtfan
Re: Xoops Core class criteria limitations LEFT JOIN and WHERE EXISTS
  • 2012/10/16 4:48

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Thank you zyspec!
You are the master of XOOPS CORE API.
I take a look at that class but it seems it also have some limitations. it just accept one LEFT JOIN and no INNER JOIN.
as for WHERE EXISTS i decide to not use it in newbb and use some other more efficient queries.

XOOPS CORE and Modules are full of examples of "LEFT JOIN"
in newbb i have this:
// this code in class/post.php

$sql 'SELECT p.*, t.* '.

' FROM ' $this->db->prefix('bb_posts') . ' AS p'.

' LEFT JOIN ' $this->db->prefix('bb_posts_text') . " AS t ON t.post_id = p.post_id";

// other codes in viewpost.php in different places
$criteria_post = new CriteriaCompo(new Criteria("p.forum_id""(".implode(",",$access_forums).")""IN"));
$criteria_post->setSort("p.post_id");
$criteria_post->setOrder($order);

$criteria_post->add(new Criteria("p.approved"1)); // irmtfan uncomment

$join ' LEFT JOIN ' $xoopsDB->prefix('bb_reads_topic') . ' AS r ON r.read_item = p.topic_id AND r.uid = ' $read_uid ' '// irmtfan corrected add AS

$criteria_status_post = new CriteriaCompo();// irmtfan new criteria

$criteria_status_post->add(new Criteria("p.post_id""r.`post_id`"">")); // irmtfan corrected - should use $value="r.``" to render in XOOPS/class/criteria.php

$criteria_status_post->add(new Criteria("r.read_id"NULL"IS NULL"), "OR");// irmtfan corrected - should use "IS NULL" to render in XOOPS/class/criteria.php

$criteria_post->add($criteria_status_post); // irmtfan add the status criteria to post criteria

$sql and $join are hardcoded in the above codes.
There are 2 LEFT JOIN:
the first left join select only one row from bb_posts_text table (very huge table in my website it is 400MB)
the second left join only select one row from bb_reads_topic.( maybe large number of rows one row = one topic per user)

As you can see queries in newbb are complicated.
an example of above query is:
0.210036 SELECT p.*, t.* FROM bb_posts AS p LEFT JOIN bb_posts_text AS t ON t.post_id p.post_id LEFT JOIN bb_reads_topic AS r ON r.read_item p.topic_id AND r.uid 1 WHERE (p.forum_id IN (1,2,4) AND p.approved '1' AND (p.post_id r.`post_id` OR r.read_id IS NULL) ) ORDER BY p.post_id DESC LIMIT 05

As you can see we can consider that running time high as 0.210036 seconds

so the real and specific question is:
is there any better query than above? can we achieve better performances by using XOOPS CORE getByLink($criteria)?

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits