Just popping in
Posted on: 2012/9/28 13:52
shibiru_mato
shibiru_mato (Show more)
Just popping in
Since: 2008/12/8

getting values from xoops "users" table

Hi

i would like to make some of the users information private on users profile. currently we can make email addresses private by unchecking the checkbox. the same thing i would like to do with other personal information such as telephone and address.

I added a column in "users" table called "user_viewtel" for making telephone number private and made it NOT NULL with default value of 1(for make public)

I tried editing the user_edituser.html and tried accessing the value of the "user_viewtel" by using codes like
$thisUser->getShow('user_viewtel') and $actionForm->get('user_viewtel') but it doesnt display anything

can anybody have idea what other things i can do so i can access the new field on the page?

any help would be very appreciated

zyspec

Module Developer
Posted on: 2012/9/28 16:16
zyspec
zyspec (Show more)
Module Developer
Since: 2004/9/21

Re: getting values from xoops "users" table

I'm not sure where you created the telephone value (was this using profile?). But to answer your specific question.

1) You need to add the 'user_viewtel' as a variable in the XoopsUser class (see ./kernel/user.php) starting at line 59. You'll want to add:

$this->initVar('user_viewtel'XOBJ_DTYPE_INT1false);

You can add it anywhere between lines 59 - 90 but I'd probably put it just after the initialization for the 'user_viewemail' variable.

Then to retrieve the value from the database you'll use:

$thisUser->getVar('user_viewtel');

Similarly when you want to set the value in the XoopsUser class object to whatever is contained in $value, you would using something like:

$thisUser->setVar('user_viewtel'$value);

Doing this will probably require that you change forms, etc... too. This hack will also have to be re-applied if you ever upgrade your XOOPS installation. There's probably a better way to handle this than hacking core files.

shibiru_mato

Just popping in
Posted on: 2012/9/28 16:26
shibiru_mato
shibiru_mato (Show more)
Just popping in

yeah i added another column on users table to toggle whether to show or not the telephone number... just like what is happening on email field. and yes I want to add it on edit profile... when viewing profiles i would read this value to see if it is public or not, if its not public then i would not display it.

so i need to edit the core files right? as of now i only have access on the editing templates on the admin menu... so i needed to go to the file directly right?

anyway, i greatly appreciate your help man! thank you! i will definitely try this and inform you if it did well

shibiru_mato

Just popping in
Posted on: 2012/10/11 5:23
shibiru_mato
shibiru_mato (Show more)
Just popping in

hi zyspec,

i tried editing the /html/xoops/kernel/user.php and added the $this->initVar('user_viewtel', XOBJ_DTYPE_INT, 1, false); just as you said but i cant get the value still. to make things weird.... i made some experiment and edited the file like renaming the valid rows like 'user_viewemail' to 'user_viewemailtest' and i should expect that i cant get that value to the database on the user_editinfo.php but to my surprise, i can get the value of 'user_viewemail' though i renamed all of the appearances of that word on the file... so do you think i need to restart the server or what im doing is wrong?

kerkyra

Just can't stay away
Posted on: 2012/10/11 13:58
kerkyra
kerkyra (Show more)
Just can't stay away
Since: 2005/2/14

for the user manipulation php-side you can create a new user class to extend the core user class.

this is part of something i have done to correct the avatar location issue with newer versions of xoops

I added your var in there so you could try it out of the box. Hopefully.

Quote:

include_once $GLOBALS['xoops']->path('kernel/user.php');

class myUser extends XoopsUser
{

private $db;
private $id;
function __construct($id=null)
{
parent::__construct($id);
$this->initVar('user_viewtel', XOBJ_DTYPE_INT, 1, false);

if($id>0)
{
$this->id = $id;

if(file_exists(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/uploads/".$this->getVar('user_avatar')))
$avatar="/uploads/".$this->getVar("user_avatar");
else
$avatar="/uploads/avatars/".$this->getVar("user_avatar");

$this->setVar('user_avatar',$avatar);

$this->db = Database::getInstance();

}
}

}

If you need new fields I would suggest creating a new table and store them in there seperatelly from xoops core db tables.

Then extend the class to store the extra values with a new method in it.

Make that a small module (just for the sake of neatness) or implement it in your module, and you dont have to worry about messing with the core :) hope it helps

shibiru_mato

Just popping in
Posted on: 2012/10/11 23:53
shibiru_mato
shibiru_mato (Show more)
Just popping in

thank you this is very interesting.

however, i am a newbee in php, xoops and module creation. but i want to consider this. how about the usage of this class? if i want to use this on user_editprofile.php how can i get and set the values? is it the same? and more importantly, do i need to restart the server to apply this new class?

thank you again

shibiru_mato

Just popping in
Posted on: 2012/10/11 23:53
shibiru_mato
shibiru_mato (Show more)
Just popping in

hi zyspec,

i tried editing the /html/xoops/kernel/user.php and added the $this->initVar('user_viewtel', XOBJ_DTYPE_INT, 1, false); just as you said but i cant get the value still. to make things weird.... i made some experiment and edited the file like renaming the valid rows like 'user_viewemail' to 'user_viewemailtest' and i should expect that i cant get that value to the database on the user_editinfo.php but to my surprise, i can get the value of 'user_viewemail' though i renamed all of the appearances of that word on the file... so do you think i need to restart the server or what im doing is wrong?