Mazarin
500 internal server error displaying images
  • 2012/8/20 21:37

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

I just did a clean install of 2.5.5 on an "external" web host but are having problems getting images to show (both Image Manager and extGallery). I can see in Firebug that I get a 500 internal server error for the images.

It seems to have something to do with resizing of images and .htaccess, because eg. when I remove the uploads .htaccess file extGallery works, but whatever I do I can't get the thumbnails in the image manager to show. Also, I'm not too happy about removing the .htaccess files since that shouldn't be needed (works fine with them on my own web server).

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this and what to do to fix it?

XOOPS Version XOOPS 2.5.5
PHP Version 5.3.14
mySQL Version 5.1.63-0+squeeze1
Server API cgi-fcgi
OS Linux
safe_mode Off
register_globals Off
magic_quotes_gpc Off
allow_url_fopen On
fsockopen On
post_max_size 96M
max_input_time 60
output_buffering
max_execution_time 50
memory_limit 80M
file_uploads On
upload_max_filesize 96M

Mazarin
Re: 500 internal server error displaying images
  • 2012/8/21 8:05

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

Solved part of the problem by commenting out this line in the relevant .htaccess files:
Options -ExecCGI -Indexes

However, I still can't get thumbnails to load in the image manager and checking Firebug it seems the phpThumb fails to load the image. Can't seem to find a conclusive answer anywhere, so does anyone have a suggestion?

jimmyx
  • 2012/10/13 15:22

• jimmyx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/7/18

did you solved this? i have the same problm

serial-weber

Hi,

This problem is a main which occurs with xoops websites. It seems to be caused by heavy querry of xoops in the server. To solve it, I just avoid to use many modules in my websites. Untill now, administrators don't give an exact solution of it. It is said that data base and querries of xoops are too heavy and use many server resource.

I just ask to administrator why this error occurs and what must we do before to avoid it or after to resolve it.

Thank you

xoobaru
  • 2013/1/24 14:24

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Try script execution monitor (all) in Firebug and search on the image name. Anything unusual in the code around the time the script does whatever it does with the image? You have to be in the page that is in failure mode and refresh before you do this.

xoobaru
  • 2013/1/24 14:49

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

It seems to be caused by heavy querry of xoops in the server. To solve it, I just avoid to use many modules in my websites. Untill now, administrators don't give an exact solution of it. It is said that data base and querries of xoops are too heavy and use many server resource.

These queries are probably not caused by XOOPS itself, but by modules that were made by developers who were just learning as they wrote the module, or someone is using modules designed for an ancient version of XOOPS.

Not only XOOPS changes over time, but so does Apache, MySQL and PHP. If the modules are stuck in legacyland for any combination of these, the server could be fail to execute queries, so they get locked by the server, and pile up, and the server doesn't know why so it gives the 500 error. I have had this happen on non XOOPS script due to obsolete code, or a coder who did not fully understand what he was doing when he published it.

Although they are making great strides to update the modules base, there are still some iffy ones out there.

The modules mentioned in the first message in this tread are fairly current and popular though, so the issue should be repeatable across users if it is a XOOPS bug.

Dante7237
  • 2013/1/24 17:13

• Dante7237

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/5/28

Recent experience with similar issue and it was the result of a php upgrade by my host without telling me.
After using cpanal for ip block I had a different .htaccess file.

Add the new handlers to, and use your .htaccess-bak file to see if that helps.

Mamba
  • 2013/1/24 18:15

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

There are few potential issues:

1) the host providers are trying to squeeze more users into the same hardware. One time I got a notice that a XOOPS website that was running fine for several years is taking too much resources. I didn't change anything on my end, so I guess, they just added several new users, or the other users started to use CMS or blogs, instead of just regular static pages. In this case you might think about switching a host.

2) The bots are doing too much searching/indexing on your Website. As your content grows, they do more of that. So you might look at what bots are coming to your site, and what are the queries they use the most.

In one case, I had to remove old events from piCal, because the bots were indexing all 5 years of events, which resulted in a lot of queries.

In this case you might block some of the bots, or you can look at the queries and modify your content.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/1/24 20:22

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

In this case you might block some of the bots, or you can look at the queries and modify your content.

The Spiders module lets you control (admit/block) and track the bot visiting your site. But if you configure any bots in the modules database, they show up as live users in whos online and PM dropdown user select list when they visit your site, and they cannot be permissioned out by the PM module or by the system configs. I stopped using it because of that one quirk.

You can also block robots in htaccess

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits