voltan
XOOPS 2.6 modules
  • 2011/11/17 4:36

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

Hi all

if you check XOOPS 2.6 SVN version. you see some codes changes and we have to rewrite new modules.

News
For news module I suggestion rename fmcontent module to news and add all missing options to module

Gallery
Update and rename extgallery to gallery

Download
rename tdmdownload to download.

Mamba
Re: XOOPS 2.6 modules
  • 2011/11/17 8:15

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I think, it would create too much confusion. For example, people wouldn't know which News module we mean, when somebody says: "I have a problem with News".

Or they would search in the forums for solutions for "news" and would find hacks for the "old" News, and would try to apply them to "fmContent" called now News. It would be too messy

Fortunately, we have in ModuleAdmin check for minimum required version of XOOPS, so if 2.6 is the minimum version of an rewritten module, and the user is trying to install it on XOOPS 2.5.x, he will get an error message.

Some of the older modules will need to be updated, but this will allow us to standardize certain functionality across all modules, following mechanism similar to ModuleAdmin. This will simplify our maintenance, because right now, every module is written in a different way, which makes maintenance and debugging a nightmare.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

kris_fr
  • 2011/11/17 8:25

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

Hi,

And when is it the compatibility of old modules with version 2.6, because I see on mine a significant amount of work to be done
Can we count on a migration script modules?
And a big thank you to Trabis for the tremendous work done on cleaning the old kernel

if you want to watch 2.6.-dev version, I installed it on a miniserv which can be downloaded here ->http://tutos.xoofoo.org/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?cid=24&lid=412

my other question is that version 2.6 will she get out before the final 2.5.4?

tatane
  • 2011/11/17 9:21

• tatane

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/5/6 1

Quote:

voltan wrote:
Hi all

if you check XOOPS 2.6 SVN version. you see some codes changes and we have to rewrite new modules.

Hello
there is a version 2.6 out?!

DCrussader

This version could be called 2.5.6 or 2.5.10... but not and 2.6.0
No GNU Gettext implementation, no changes at the language files structure, nothing... simply is a 2.5.x working tree.
May The Source Be With You!

voltan
  • 2011/11/17 13:55

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

@Mamba :

all xoops modules ( in 4 or 5 years ago ) have same structure. lock at to extgallery since 5 years ago or tdmdoanload and more. all of them have same structure.

But news module have different structure. All of new xoops modules whit some changes will be update for version 2.6 but news need rewrite.

I can start this project for news. and fmcontent have good base for it. and we can improve module admin class ( add some ajax options )

We must keep all news module features but we can new options and new gui.

For do it we must have team for work on modules

DCrussader

What makes one core popular ?
2. Modules of course (aka extensions)
1. Language, English only is not acceptable
0. Clean, sorted, 1 file, max 2 (for the language) per extension/module.
3. Features provided by those modules.
4. Structure, currently most used modules are 2 times larger then XOOPS... yack

For those 10 years, I'm using XOOPS and Herve's News (already maintained by Trabis), I strongly disagree, someone to touch that name. Both can be forked into another module, whatever name u want. But News is a news, the only module which works without a problem on 2.0.x, 2.2.x or 2.5.x. And is not only this one, there are few fully functional modules. Repository is already a mess, full with outdated modules non-compatible even with 2.0.18.x, why someone will want to add more mess. When I search for hack for News 1.4x+ I have to search and for fmContent News and/or fmContent only, this is pointless change.

TDMDownloads, well, is this module is written in English (Think twice before to answer), is this module have all features operational (again...) WF-Downloads is ok, compared to TDM Downloads. (whole world uses Bytes, KB, MB, GB, TB, PB, TDMDownloads uses Ko, Knock Out maybe ? (I was really knocked out after 3 minutes of playing with it, then was replaced by the good, old Catzwolf WF-Download.) Don't want to mention the parody called custom fields.

Web Links, thanks to happy linux framework, works on every core without a problem...

NewBB to be changed to forum ? and for which forum XOOPers will search on this site ? X-Forum, NewBB, phpBB, IPB ? (last 2 can be moved to Archive/Abandoned... but, doesn't matter.
May The Source Be With You!

Cesagonchu

Quote:

DCrussader:
WF-Downloads is ok, compared to TDM Downloads. (whole world uses Bytes, KB, MB, GB, TB, PB, TDMDownloads uses Ko, Knock Out maybe ? (I was really knocked out after 3 minutes of playing with it, then was replaced by the good, old Catzwolf WF-Download).

It is not very appropriate to make fun of the French language. "Mage" is the creator of "TDM Downloads". He is French.

For your information :
1 MB = 128 KO (kilo-octets).

Mamba
  • 2011/11/17 19:02

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I love the lively discussion about XOOPS 2.6.0 and the excitement!

First, Trabis did a tremendous job refactoring and cleaning the Core! I tested it couple of days ago on PHP 5.4 RC1 in E_STRICT mode, and it had only 1 small error related to magic quotes, which Trabis will fix. Otherwise NO errors! This an example of the quality that Trabis delivers! So as you can see, XOOPS 2.6.0 will be PHP 5.4 compliant and E_STRICT compliant, and free of any PHP 4 and XOOPS 1 old ancient code! As we all know: Trabis simply ROCKS!!!

It will be also the lightest and fastest XOOPS ever, with the lowest memory requirements. Simply the "leanest and meanest" version of XOOPS ever!

But first things first!

We need to release XOOPS 2.5.4, hopefully in the next few days. This will be probably the last version in the 2.5.x series. All current modules should work without any significant problems there.

Then, once Trabis is done with the refactoring, we will release 2.6.0 Alpha 0. This will be just a refactored Core, with no new features. It will be our "reference" point, a baseline to test modules and making sure that the refactoring is being done correctly.

Once we test it and identify any issues, there will be decision on how to refactor modules, and which ones.

The Core team is also looking at the long list of the features suggested by the community, and it will make suggestions on how incorporate them into the Core, and it what sequence. They are looking at RMCommon from Eduardo and XMF (XOOPS Module Framework) from Trabis, and few other things (like plugins/widgets), to come up with architecture and features that will make module development much, much easier that it is today.

But we need to go one step at a time, and make sure that we have the right architecture. So I wouldn't focus yet on any module updates for XOOPS 2.6.0, because a lot of things will change, as the work is still very fluid - remember, there is not even Alpha 0 released yet

Once we have the new architecture in place, then we can look at the modules, and provide clear guidelines on how to refactor/upgrade existing modules.

So let's be patient, contribute more ideas about features that you would like to see in XOOPS 2.6.0, but let's focus now on making sure that we have:

- stable XOOPS 2.5.4 (please test, test, test and help us fix bugs)
- help us with "Basic Module Pack" (please test, test, test and help us fix bugs)
- update/upgrade to Blue Move any other older modules

The most important thing: as you can see from the 2.6.0 refactoring, we have now a great Core team, which is doing tremendous work with improving quality of XOOPS Core that will help us to move XOOPS to the 21st century and be again on the frontline of development.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Cesagonchu

The discussion is difficult when there are people xenophobic too.
Xoops is international and not for english people only.

Login

Who's Online

104 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 104

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits