chivita
Updating old Xoops
  • 2011/11/7 17:26

• chivita

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/11/7

Hi,

I have inherited an old Xoops, version 2.0.16 and would like to know if it would be fine to upgrade it or is it too old a version?

Also, the owner of the site wants to add a shopping cart to sell the very few products described on the site. Is this possible? on the 2.0.16 version or on the current Xoops version?

Thank you for your help.

zyspec
Re: Updating old Xoops
  • 2011/11/7 20:52

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

There's several things to consider when upgrading from 2.0.16 to a more up to date version:
- First, make sure your server has the appropriate versions of PHP and MySQL (these are outlined in the release notes for the version of XOOPS you want to use).
- Make sure there are versions of the modules that will work. This is often more difficult than it appears however if you'll post which modules you're currently using (or plan to use) the community can help identify potential problems.
- You'll probably want to test the theme you're planning to use although typically this isn't a problem other than you may not be able to place blocks in the position you want with an 'old' theme.

Hope this helps get you started...

As far as a shopping cart this is one of the areas where XOOPS lacks a little bit. Perhaps others can share success stories of how they've managed to incorporate a shopping cart. Typically I just create some static pages that tie into PAYPAL, etc.

chivita
  • 2011/11/8 14:01

• chivita

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/11/7

Hi Zyspec,

Thank you for your answer that will help me investigate further. As I am new to Xoops, I don't even know how to recognize an external module from core functionalities, so I have to do some research about that first.

Then about the shopping cart, I could simply put a link to one, but which one (for the US and canadian markets)? The basic question was "is this possible to sell our products from the Xoops site (instead of wholeselling to retailers first). Apparently I can answer yes.

Is Paypal a good solution? (well accepted, dependable, easy, not too expensive for the site owner?)

Thanks again.

Mamba
  • 2011/11/12 7:57

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

For shopping cart you can try Oledrion. Some people use it successfully, and it is using Paypal for your payments
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits