Daethian
Making my site SmartPhone friendly
  • 2011/5/18 17:21

• Daethian

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/3/4 1

How do I go about getting my site to be more user friendly when on a smartphone? On my Thunderbolt with a nice large screen its fine but I know this isn't the norm for most users.
http://www.artfire.com/daethian
My Artfire store- Vintage Jewelry and New Bead Jewelry

wishcraft
Re: Making my site SmartPhone friendly

You use a combination of multisite and Wurfl.. WURFL will contain the settings for your phone, but you will need to make a theme for mobile.yoursite.com and set the theme with multisite, then also making a redirection to that subdomain if a WURFL Device is detected.

This is one way..

Generally a mobile theme is 1 column, with the left and right blocks sections either the left at the top of the center with the right at the bottom or both left and right at the bottom of the center block.
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

mjoel
  • 2011/5/18 22:46

• mjoel

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/12/9

wishcraft

Yes that is one example of mobile supported theme, but multisite allows you to default a setting theme for a subdomain like m.yoursite.com for your mobile theme which i still suggest instead of the fancy CSS which not all mobiles support you make a simple one column theme based on the main theme.

You can always include WURFL Settings in the theme by linking the css to a css.php file in the theme which loads the wurfl settins needed for the device.

This is partly why themes need preloads. I suggest you search the forum for SEO for my SEO Tips as well as Mobile Computing for the mobile stuff if you are making a theme.
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

Daethian
  • 2011/5/19 16:06

• Daethian

• Quite a regular

Multisite and WURFL are modules?

Do I need to make a duplicate copy of my site? I don't know how the mobile.mysite.com is supposed to work. Do I have to create a subdomain named Mobile? Shouldn't there be a mobile site theme in the XOOPS core?

I think my theme developer made a mobile theme but it doesn't kick in when I use my phone.

vamptrix
  • 2011/5/19 20:14

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

Or you can use CSS conditional stylesheets which trigger at a specific screensize :)
I used to use this account, but no longer.

Daethian
  • 2011/5/19 21:35

• Daethian

• Quite a regular

I need something simple Kev that's the problem. What little I did know about CSS has long been forgotten. This is more of a wish than a need. I know you have a mobile theme for us but my phone doesn't recognize it...which is fine for me because my phone loads the site beautifully. Its other people I'm thinking of. Even a plain text site would be ok if it allowed people to navigate easier.

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits