deepak267
Re: Making Libraries of functions to be used in many modules? Action Ques? X2 and X3 related..

Quote:

Did you download and test the Basic Module Pack? That's exactly what it does - provides common icons/images by using the ModuleAdmin class.

Yes, Mamba I did installed the basic module pack and its a good start but i am not sure how to use this to develop a module.

I am trying to write my first xoops module by following the help documentation by "kaotik module tutorials, tips and tricks". I know it bit of out of date and does not talk about CSS, group permission etc. So I am trying to understand TDMDownload code to write my own module.

Do you know any other more upto date document that I can refer to?

Thanks in advance.

Deepak

A member of www.AquariumHomeCare.com

redheadedrod
Re: Making Libraries of functions to be used in many modules? Action Ques? X2 and X3 related..

At this time there is no more recent document explaining how to write modules. I want to write something to go along with this project that should help. In order to accomplish what I want with this project I have to reverse engineer Xoops to get a better understanding of how it works. Unless something happens I think there is going to be a public announcement soon. I do hope if things go the way they are looking that we get some better documentation for 2.5 for building modules.

"My" module that I am building here will be more generic and will not be dependent on the revision of xoops you use it with so it should be good no matter if you are using 2.3.3, 2.4.5, 2.5.2, XE, ICMS, Cube etc...

Rodney

deepak267
  • 2011/8/2 12:37

• deepak267

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/8/15

Thanks for your reply Rodney.

Hope you will publish your module for testing which will help others to understand the standards you are going to introduce.

Good Luck.

Deepak

A member of www.AquariumHomeCare.com

redheadedrod

Hopefully after the dust settles we can get back to work.. I do hope to utilize TDMCreate even if I have to make a new version of that module for this. I may also look at ICMS's module that does the same thing and leverage code from both modules.

But that is down the road. As I have mentioned elsewhere I plan to document my building of this module so that others can learn from my building. Unlike some developers I have come across here I am here to learn and to share what I learned. That is how I learn better is by sharing.

Rodney

redheadedrod
uModules...

Over the weekend I updated my site. (Very bare right now) With this I have included forums (CBB 4.03) and a wiki to go over what I am doing.

I am structuring the Wiki as I type.. Will try to finalize it more in the next day or two...

Wiki....

Support site for my projects:

Support Site

Might find a description of another interesting project I am working on as well.

(Was there ever an update to the CBB stuff? I see some missing language constants..)

Rodney

redheadedrod
Blue Move Library System

I am going to be starting up a new idea with my rebuild of xRoster that I am calling the "Blue Move Library System". The intention of this is to make module code easily reusable. I have mentioned this before but I wanted to refine this more. This will also allow me to transition some modules to my eventual 'uModule' system easier as well.

The intention of this system is to pull all of the "working" code out of the module and place it into a class library. This will allow ANY module to use the code as written as if it was in THAT module. All admin and original setup stuff will be done by the original module. It will be designed to also allow for cloning of the module that will be handled directly by the Library. In this way you only need one copy of the Library and it will be usable by all of the clones as well as any other modules. The class library will reside inside the Xoops_lib directory in the trusted path inside a sub folder called "library" and each module will have a generic sub folder inside this. XoopsPoll for instance will have a library folder simply named poll. And CBB will be simply forum etc.

The main power of this can be seen as I have mentioned before when you incorporate a module such as xoopspoll with a module such as CBB or other similar uses.

As I build xRoster I will be developing this idea further so watch for updates and discussions here.

My initial thoughts are that the Library will consist of all of the code necessary for the module to do its work along with a general controlling object that can return information about this library.

The idea of versioning has been discussed before possibly in this thread.

It will become more readily apparent as I develop this idea. Hopefully it will make sense and will be a direction we are willing to move to. Otherwise it will just be specialized to modules I have built.

My intention is after xRoster I will look into doing a similar "blue move library system" upgrade to all of the 2.5.5 admin upgraded modules. At the time of doing that I will also attempt to repair any bugs I find and make sure they follow proper xoops code practices. Any functionality improvements will be minor if any.
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Mamba
Re: Blue Move Library System
  • 2012/5/10 8:19

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Looking forward to the first release of it.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod
Re: Blue Move Library System

Thanks, I expect that my first attempt will take a while because it will be developing the structure of this (I already have it in mind) but I think once it is in place it should (hopefully) be much easier on the next ones.. Plus since i will be documenting as I go I am sure that will slow things down as well...

I will try to update this thread when I accomplish things.
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Shine
  • 2012/6/18 22:37

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

What is the status of these, several projects you took on? redheadedrod

redheadedrod

As I mentioned on another thread.. I am working on a couple other projects first. I will be working on xRoster with the intent of moving it to this as one of my first projects. xRoster is currently the third item on my list and I am working on 1 and 2 now...

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits