cypeak
was promising, but..
  • 2010/7/22 15:56

• cypeak

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/22

hi everybody!

i was looking for a cms that should be easya to manage and provide few things i was looking for like a
-wiki/knowledgebas
-forums
-possibility to moderate the coments/posts made by users..

so xoops seemed quite promising with modules for several wiki's and forums..

so i installed it (2.4.5) on my virtaulmachine for testing..
first: you should clearly state in the installation what rights are needed by whom. i.e. 777 permissions to xoops_data/caches i.e. ..cos "write" is not equal "execute" on unix based systems..
(i had 766 permissions for the data folders, but 777 (executable) are needed..)
but hey...i figured it out somehow...

next step...create some pages and check the user rights management...

well...create some html pages...hmm...how??
done some reading.. modules needed for that (just btw. every other cms has a buildin ability to do that...)
so i looked on the xoops page for the default modlue to create static content...is there one? ot just comunity contributed modules?
i'll leave that for later i thougt to myself..

so what about a forum module? again browsing the modules on the xoops page...
ahh..forums modules..sorted by popularity..
newBB 2 ..ok download...
The "XOOPS2_mod_newbb2.02_PredPhpp.zip" file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file.
ok..last updated 2005? wtf??

lets try another one: CBB (newbb) 3.0.8
at least updated 12/2007 ...redirected to some chinease page..wtf???

ok another try: x-forum 4.12 (sees to be the newest..)
finaly not a dead link..but how to upload/install this?
ducumentation:https://xoops.org/modules/mediawiki/index.php/2.11.2._Uploading_the_module

empty page..so no information there..
ask mr google...ahh..ok..unpack upload...install..
wow..its working...

i could continue here...

xoops really looks promising...but the blanks in the documentation and the bunch of old and dead links and descriptions in the module repository are really a pain in te ass for a "starter"...

Tazman_al
Re: was promising, but..
  • 2010/7/22 18:56

• Tazman_al

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Hi Cypeak

I know the guys here at Xoops are working on the whole module thing.

Check out This article.

You will find all the links and modules listed here.

Al

Peekay
  • 2010/7/22 19:33

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

@ cypeak

I know it's no consolation to say that things used to be worse, but as Tazman_al says, a lot of work is currently underway to sort out the module repository and documentation.

Soon, many of the old links will point at the Xoops Sourceforge site where you can also get CBB.

For the site you mention building I would recommend trying:

Forum - CBB 3.08

Articles etc. - News 1.64

WIKI - DokuWiki

Most of these are reasonably easy to set up.

DokuWiki can strain your brain a bit, but no more than Mediawiki.

Use the advanced search in the forum here if you hit a problem and you can always post a question if you cannot find a solution.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Catzwolf
  • 2010/7/22 20:20

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

I know it's no consolation to say that things used to be worse, but as Tazman_al says, a lot of work is currently underway to sort out the module repository and documentation.

In all honesty, I have never known the situation with modules to be as bad as this. Least before I knew where to go to get modules from. But with the collapse with many module developer sites, a lot of module are now left wanting and dead.

The repository has been like this for many years now and just like we have been told many times that things are about to change, they never do. I mean how long does it take to fix things here?

I would rather have a few working modules listed in the repository rather than a list of modules that are over 3 years old and do not work. How had is it to remove them from the list? How hard is it to find the latest version and list them?

Also, I think it would help to push module developers in the right direction here. Push them to use the repository in the correct manner and submit their latest releases there or have someone they can approach to help them with this.

Another issue that needs sorting is this, when does a minor change of code warrant being called a new module? For example: There was a time that there was about 10 different versions of WF-Sections going around, and all with minor changes to the code and something that could have been submitted easily as a patch or submitted to the developer.

This is why we need guidelines for submission. If someone submits a module that is just a small variant of another one, then it should be submitted as a patch and enforced as such.

My 1p on the matter

Peekay
  • 2010/7/22 21:32

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

The resource book that Burning has been working on is actually very good and should help clear up some of the mess when it's finished. Having said that, downloading anything from Xoops China could drive you to despair. I can't believe that link is still in place.

To be honest, download links that lead to developer's own sites have often caused problems. The dev forge was the most structured solution for module development. You could post alphas, betas, RCs and patches. Users could back-track to a previous version if the latest one had a problem. You could also see which modules were actively being developed so you didn't rush off and create a new version without reason.

Sadly, you can't even upload files to the dev forge anymore, you have to provide an external link, so it's no more reliable than the module repository. If it were down to me, a copy of every module would need to be submitted in Zip format to XO (Sourceforge) before XO even allowed it to be promoted here. That way it would always be accessible.

Quote:
Also, I think it would help to push module developers in the right direction here.

Well, I have been moaning on about the lack of developer guidance for ages now and I am optimistic that this initiative might help. The main idea is for technical tutorials, but protocol should be included too.

I do however believe these things need to be promoted harder with permanent graphics and blocks, not just news items and forum posts which very quickly disappear from view.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

cypeak
  • 2010/7/26 12:51

• cypeak

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/22

how can i define what should be displayed on "home" or entry page???

the dokuwiki module mentioned above is not working. i can install it but there seems to be some permission problems:

/page.idx is not writable. Check your permissions settings!

i configured the module pernmissions and set the permissions on the folders containing page.idx to wiriteable.
searched the forums and found out dokuwiki module has some permission problems with xoops 2.3.0+
any sugestions?

i think i'll give it one more try - but if it doesn't work i'll have to look for a more stable cms...

Mamba
  • 2010/7/26 13:59

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
how can i define what should be displayed on "home" or entry page???

Go to Admin, Preferences, General Settings, and in the "Module for your start page" select the one that you want to be on the start page.

You can further enhance the user experience by selecting "blocks" that should be visible on the top page.

Reg. the dokuwiki I am not sure. I would have to install it and test it on 2.4.5

And don't give up so easily on XOOPS!

We're here to help you!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits