redheadedrod
Language pack Creator module?

Is there already a module or utility out there that makes making language files easy?

I am considering making a module that will allow MUCH easier creation of language files.

The idea is if you already have a language file this module could open up the file, run it through google translator, pop up the ported code in the language you want it to be in and allow you to make changes to the entries in case they don't make sense. Then write out the new language file automatically.

It could also support adding to the file or creation of a file from scratch. I have hand ported files myself and it is very time consuming. I would think a module that could do it for you would make life a whole lot easier. I have been considering making a stand alone program that does the same thing but think it would be more useful as a module.

Ideas?

Rodney

edipinho
Re: Language pack Creator module?
  • 2010/5/18 8:36

• edipinho

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/10/15

Google Chrome already makes full translation of the page, for now. : D

Extensions = Google Translate

Peekay
Re: Language pack Creator module?
  • 2010/5/18 9:54

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I found that Google translate will accept cut-n-paste code from the language files.

It works because the definition 'name' contains underscores so is is treated as one word and remains unaltered.

So if you paste:

Quote:
//Main menu links
define("_PROFILE_MI_EDITACCOUNT", "Edit Account");
define("_PROFILE_MI_CHANGEPASS", "Change Password");
define("_PROFILE_MI_CHANGEMAIL", "Change Email");

you get:

Quote:
/ / Main menú de enlaces
define ("_PROFILE_MI_EDITACCOUNT", "Editar cuenta");
define ("_PROFILE_MI_CHANGEPASS", "Cambiar Contraseña");
define ("_PROFILE_MI_CHANGEMAIL", "Cambio de correo electrónico");

Of course, this is a literal translation which is seldom as good as a human translation, but it's useful if you add some new definitions to a popular module which already has several language packs.

A module to manage this would be a good idea though.

Or perhaps a module that automatically passes the developer's native language definitions through an online translator and feeds back everything in your own language? (one that was not browser dependent). That would remove the need for language packs completely.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

208 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 208

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits