xoops forums

neogabo

Just popping in
Posted on: 2010/4/15 13:23
neogabo
neogabo (Show more)
Just popping in
Posts: 22
Since: 2009/11/9
#1

Oledrion's license

Hi i would like to know if its posible to take oledrion and develop it more.

I mean, there are things that are really good, but others that needs a lot o development.

Due to the unfortunelly fact that instant zero "is not with us anymore" i ask:
can i take oledrion to use it "as a base" for another module?



Added(with edit)
there are a lots of:
<!-- Created by Instant Zero (http://www.instant-zero.com) -->, everywhere. i want to develop a totally free module, without all that

Yurdal

Friend of XOOPS
Posted on: 2010/4/15 13:49
Yurdal
Yurdal (Show more)
Friend of XOOPS
Posts: 363
Since: 2005/3/27
#2

Re: Oledrion's license

I´m not aware of license restrictions for further devolping, but this is the only 100% E-commerce module of Xoops, i would that it will be devolped further

Still missing things like import articles from xls or cvs and of course different payment gateways

neogabo

Just popping in
Posted on: 2010/4/15 13:54
neogabo
neogabo (Show more)
Just popping in
Posts: 22
Since: 2009/11/9
#3

Re: Oledrion's license

yes, you are right.

Look this:

/**
* ****************************************************************************
* oledrion - MODULE FOR XOOPS
* Copyright (c) Hervé Thouzard of Instant Zero (http://www.instant-zero.com)
*
* You may not change or alter any portion of this comment or credits
* of supporting developers from this source code or any supporting source code
* which is considered copyrighted (c) material of the original comment or credit authors.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
*
* @copyright Hervé Thouzard of Instant Zero (http://www.instant-zero.com)
* @license http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU public license
* @package oledrion
* @author Hervé Thouzard of Instant Zero (http://www.instant-zero.com)
*
* Version : $Id:
* ****************************************************************************
*/

im not sure if i can add things to oledrion.

kris_fr

Theme Designer
Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:00
kris_fr
kris_fr (Show more)
Theme Designer
Posts: 1009
Since: 2005/12/31
#4

Re: Oledrion's license

I think you can continue the development of this module, while retaining the original developer of credit, eg :
Quote:
/**
* ****************************************************************************
* oledrion - MODULE FOR XOOPS
* Copyright (c) Hervé Thouzard of Instant Zero (http://www.instant-zero.com)
*
* You may not change or alter any portion of this comment or credits
* of supporting developers from this source code or any supporting source code
* which is considered copyrighted (c) material of the original comment or credit authors.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
*
* @copyright Hervé Thouzard of Instant Zero (http://www.instant-zero.com)
* @license http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU public license
* @package oledrion
* @author Hervé Thouzard of Instant Zero (http://www.instant-zero.com)
* @author YourName (YourWebSite or Email)
*
* Version : $Id:
* ****************************************************************************
*/

Moreover wishcraft just put the last night of changes for this module on the svn XOOPS Project

neogabo

Just popping in
Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:07
neogabo
neogabo (Show more)
Just popping in
Posts: 22
Since: 2009/11/9
#5

Re: Oledrion's license

but if i continue the module and the real author apears can he/she change the license?

i dont have a problem with that comments or credits, but if the author changes the license for something not free, well ...

Burning

Theme Designer
Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:10
Burning
Burning (Show more)
Theme Designer
Posts: 1163
Since: 2006/8/22
#6

Re: Oledrion's license

hi'

Oledrion, as all free Hervet modules, is developed under GPL License. You are free to do what you want with this code.

I would be please to help you if you need (not for dev but templates or tutorials).

Burning

Theme Designer
Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:22
Burning
Burning (Show more)
Theme Designer
Posts: 1163
Since: 2006/8/22
#7

Re: Oledrion's license

hi' again

I believe it is the wish of the author :
http://community.impress cms.org/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=437

ghia

Community Support Member
Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:30
ghia
ghia (Show more)
Community Support Member
Posts: 4954
Since: 2008/7/3 1
#8

Re: Oledrion's license

Quote:
but if i continue the module and the real author apears can he/she change the license?

i dont have a problem with that comments or credits, but if the author changes the license for something not free, well ...
It is very unlikely, that this will happen. However the current version is GPL, so you are free to use, extend, modify it as you like.
Quote:
there are a lots of:
, everywhere. i want to develop a totally free module, without all that
Quote:
You are free to do what you want with this code.
You must leave the original copyrights and credits.
You can add your own copyright notice eg modified, extended by ..
The code itself can be changed at will. Of course if it stays compatible and upgradable with the current version, you may attract other people to use your module and they will help with wish lists and debugging.

mboyden

Moderator
Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:30
mboyden
mboyden (Show more)
Moderator
Posts: 484
Since: 2005/3/9 1
#9

Re: Oledrion's license

If I understand it correctly, under the Oledrion license of the GPL, the original author(s) retains the copyrights to the code they develop; however you are free to use and build upon it as you desire SO LONG AS you retain all the copyright and credit information as originally presented to the OS community. So, yes, you may move it forward build upon it, etc. You may not sell the code (but you may sell a service that uses the code underneath it). Thus, if you distribute code, and the code contains others copywritten works, then you must include the credits.

Clear as mud?

neogabo

Just popping in
Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:36
neogabo
neogabo (Show more)
Just popping in
Posts: 22
Since: 2009/11/9
#10

Re: Oledrion's license

xD yes clear as mud.

one more thing, can someone strip the coments about oledrion in the templates? (not the original ones but the ones in /themes/modules/oledrion )


"upgradable with the current version" , im not sure about that. i will probably modify the db struture and a lot of code