seemuggi
Startpage
  • 2010/1/8 17:05

• seemuggi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/1/8 1

Hello!

How can I define which artikel will shown on the Homepage / Startpage?! I don´t untersand, how I can define the elements for the Startpage..

Some Ideas..?

Thanks!!

ghia
Re: Startpage
  • 2010/1/9 1:18

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

seemuggi, Welcome to the XOOPS Forum!

First you can appoint a module as default view for the start page (see general preferences).
Else you can set up some blocks to show only on the start page.
If you use News, there are blocks for top story, spotlight etc.
There are also some modules that can help to put a page or story on the front page.
It depends on which module you are using now for publishing stories.

seemuggi
  • 2010/1/11 9:03

• seemuggi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/1/8 1

Hi Ghia!

Tx for your Help.

I´m using ASM, but I can´t find an option to define whitch articel sould be shown on the homepage.. which ID..

ghia
  • 2010/1/11 10:57

• ghia

You mean AMS?

That module does not have a selection for a specific spotlight article as eg the News module has.
If you have some PHP knowledge, you could add an extra block to the module (see FAQ) by using an existing one as skeleton or ask for a solution on the developers site.

However if you have rating off for your users you can trick the Top News block into displaying the articles you want, by selecting order by rating.
You adapt the rating in a way that shows 1 or more articles in the order you want.

redheadedrod

Ok I am trying to do somewhat the same thing. I have a request to show the news articles on the front page so people don't have to expand on them to view them. Would like it to display simularly to how the front page here shows the news articles but since most of the news I will be listing will be under 1000 characters It would be nice to be able to show the whole article.

I can get the view I want by going to the NEWS or the AMS module directly but can't seem to make this the home page. I am sure I am missing something easy but how does this work?

I have both AMS 2.52 and news 1.64 that I am looking at to see which one will do the job.

Playing catchup on this stuff...

Rodney

PS:
Found a module that does this but would be nice if it was built into the news and AMS modules... The module I found is... "Latest News Block" and it works with news 1.65.

ghia
  • 2010/1/21 23:59

• ghia

Quote:
I have a request to show the news articles on the front page so people don't have to expand on them to view them
. Put all your text in the scoop part and leave the extended part blank.
Note that the read counts will fail, because people are reading the entire article from the overview and there is no longer a need to read them individually.
Quote:
Would like it to display simularly to how the front page here shows the news articles
This is not the case. All articles have a read more link.

redheadedrod

Quote:

ghia wrote:

Quote:
Would like it to display simularly to how the front page here shows the news articles
This is not the case. All articles have a read more link.

But if you change the length of the displayed news to a length long enough to show the scoop then you don't get the read more link... (Using News 1.64 and not sure if I am using a setting in that module or the module I use to display news on the top page.)

Not necessarily the BEST option but it is the one my users wanted so they have it. May incorporate tabs and that sort of thing for future reference. But it works for now. I set the display length to 5000 characters so MOST scoops will display in full on the home page without anyone clicking. The read count is non important as the members of this site are not very computer savy and apparently can't figure out how to click on things to view them...

Rodney

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits