tommyZ
keeping the site up to date - checking on modules latest versions!
  • 2009/12/21 19:42

• tommyZ

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/1/4 1

Hi

I have searched for an answer/solution for my question and found non so I figured that ill throw it out here.

Is there a module or a way to check my site for available updates of installed modules? I saw that wordpress does that nicely and thought that maybe an option has been made for XOOPS as well.

Ideally the admin can be notified when a new version was released for an installed module either via backend or email.

Thanks in advance and your thoughts are welcome,

Tom

Burning
Re: keeping the site up to date - checking on modules latest versions!
  • 2009/12/21 21:00

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

+1

But I believe it is very difficult to do :
• we should have an updated module repository
• we should have such feature directly in module System

Attempts have been made :
• XoopsInfo module by Dugris
• Some module developers (like Zoullou) have their own alert system

Anonymous
  • 2009/12/22 0:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

Would be a very nice feature but relies, as Burning already said, on using a central XOOPS module repository I guess. In practice too many module developers use their own websites instead of sourceforge. When looking for latest modules you have to look around and must be a google expert to find the newest release in many cases. Same problem is with finding translated versions, which can be everywhere on local XOOPS sites or elsewhere on private sites.

We are busy revitalising xoops.nl at the moment and what to do with translated modules is an issue. Looking at the current situation we decided to have our own donwloads module with Dutch translations, but it would be better to have a stable central repository with all modules and translations at one place. This can also prevent panic situations as recently occured when Hervet had to close his site.

In my opinion a stable central module repository is a must have for XOOPS to survive.

Mamba
  • 2009/12/22 1:52

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Currently we don't have any working solution for it, but we were hoping to include the one from www.simple-xoops.org

I know that Alfred was working on updating his solution for XOOPS 2.4.2, so when it's done, we hope to include it in the next major release of XOOPS.

deepak267

Hi,
Sorry if I am out of context here.

I found it's extremly difficult to find the latest version of many module. even though you find the latest module, you have to spend at least an hour to get the right module and install it.

It would be nice to have an index/listing of module ( may be as a thread/blog/news). just start a thread for every module when the module is released. And post a comment if there is a new release with the links to download.

This will help a new user to see what is the history of the module and can find the latest module or support. Moderator can control and remove the unrelated comments.

I think the link should maintain the index with the following information.

1. Latest version of the module
2. Version of XOOPS core that support this module
3. Supported languages for the module
4. WAMP/LAMP version required/supported
5. Download link ( even if they are in xoops.org or sourceforge
6. Help Documents available (Provide links)
7. Known issues ( such any conflicts with other modules)
8. Support links

Let me know If this sounds like a good idea, I will be happy to help or take initiative.

Good Luck

Deepak

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits