skyy
Language issues
  • 2009/8/3 9:45

• skyy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/6/11

Sorry for being a bit noob on this but I cannot seem to get the language settings right. I am trying to get my site to use Swedish as language. I am setting the language to Swedish in Preferences which changes all text in the basic XOOPS installation to Swedish - good! But then all other text as well as other modules get messed up (Swedish Å Ä Ö characters breaks) Now, this seems to be controlled by a define ('_CHARSET'... in file language/LANG/global.php, it is set to UTF-8 in the English language settings and to ISO8859-1 in the Swedish settings.

This means that if I set it to ISO8859-1 the menus are ok but all Swedish text in other files are messed up whereas if I set it to UTF-8 the menus break but other text is ok. There must be some other parameter controlling the charset behaviour

Anyone have any hints on where to look?

thanks

/Björn

ghia
Re: Language issues
  • 2009/8/3 11:01

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

skyy, welcome to the XOOPS forum!

I assume your database is also set up to use UTF-8 as character set. It is best to use UTF-8 everywhere.

Probably your PHP files with the Swedish translations are in the ansi format and not in UTF-8. Use an editor as Notepad++ to convert all the files in the language directories to UTF-8 without BOM format. Then upload these replacement files.

anderssk
Re: Language issues
  • 2009/8/3 13:48

• anderssk

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/3/21

Hi' skyy

Try ask in the forum at www.xoopsnordic.org
There are a couple of other swedish users there.

Maybe some of the modules your working with already are translated/converted to UTF-8

But as ghia says, it's the encoding - and you have to change in notepad++

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits