cabdi_uk
Comments for non logged on users show anonymous
  • 2009/6/14 16:42

• cabdi_uk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/12

Posters in the comments section of news articles all show as anonymous and would like to ask if there is a way of separating the comment contributors by allowing them to type their name and location before entering comments? I use XOOPS 2.3.3 and news module.

Any help please? Thanks

ghia
Re: Comments for non logged on users show anonymous
  • 2009/6/14 18:19

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

In general, it is a bad idea to let anonymous users post comments. You will get more SPAM than real comments.

Not real comments, but a guestbook (eg XFguestbook) allows also anonymous users post a message. Use it with the captcha activated.

cabdi_uk
  • 2009/6/15 0:16

• cabdi_uk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/12

Thanks Ghia for been always helpful.

My queery is that I have seen some other sites where users can comments a news report by entering their name without logging onto the site. I am not sure if they use XOOPS or not. The XFGuestbook does not follow every news?

Thanks

Cabdi

ghia
  • 2009/6/15 6:46

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I don't think that were XOOPS sites. On XOOPS you can add comments anonymously (without name) or registered (with name).
A hack for having anonymously names (contradiction) has been requested from time to time, but AFAIK doesn't exist. Problem is that the user in the comments is saved as a number (refferring to a registered user record) and there is no place to store a name in the database table.
In the guestbook, one can make comments about articles, but they are not 'connected' to the article as real comments are.

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits