barryc
Update existing 2.3.3 profile tables from 2.2.4 site
  • 2009/6/5 16:52

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have posted a number of questions lately related to upgrading my 2.2.4 site to 2.3.3. I can't find any answers to this problem in a search of the XOOPS site. I hope someone can help.

In upgrading my (currently live) 2.2.4 site to 2.3.3 I essentially had to rebuild the site due to some module incompatibilities. I had no alternative but to keep the 2.2.4 site live until ready to do the switch. That means data continued to change on the 2.2.4 site while I was rebuilding. In particular members have been added or edited in the profiles module. It is critical that I update that data when I make the 2.3.3 site live.

The issue is that the table structure changed a lot in the new profile module. I have worked out all the table/field equivalences. I now need to find out how I can transfer data from the 2.2.4 fields to the 2.3.3 fields. I can see no way in phpmyAdmin to export or import data by field. I suspect that a sql query could be written to carry out this task, but that is beyond my rudimentary abilities.

One other option I thought of would be to temporarily close the 2.2.4 live site, do another upgrade to a temporary XOOPS installation, which would create the correct tables and data in the profiles module, dump those tables, then import them into my rebuilt site. I could then delete the temporary XOOPS installation. That feels like a kludge to me and I'm sure there is a more elegant way to do it.

Has anyone faced this problem? If so, how did you handle it? If anyone can offer advice or has a script that would do this I'd sure appreciate it.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

barryc
Re: Update existing 2.3.3 profile tables from 2.2.4 site
  • 2009/6/19 22:19

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Here I go again answering my own post. I thought it might be worthwhile documenting how I did this in case anyone has the same need.

As you will read below, I had an upgraded cloned site, but my old site was active while I worked on the upgrade, which led to additional data, in particular user registrations and forum posts, that had to be transferred from the old site to the new.

I ended up closing my live site, creating a fresh clone (Xoops 2.2.4), upgrading that, then copying each of the profile_ tables and the user table from that site to the upgraded one that was destined to become my live site. It all went well except that some users did not have all the appropriate groups assigned. That was fixed by copying groups_users_link from the temporary dummy db to the final upgraded site.

I then edited mainfile.php to reflect the new paths, db names and passwords and everything seems to work fine.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Mamba
  • 2009/6/20 1:19

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

This is very useful for other users, and they will benefit from it.

For other readers: if you find a solution to your problem, please post it back here.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

barryc
  • 2009/6/20 1:39

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I get so much help from people on this site that it is my please on those rare occasions when I can offer something in return.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Login

Who's Online

380 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 380

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits