Lemernis
XOOPS suitable for a small community website? please advise
  • 2009/5/19 11:41

• Lemernis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/16

Please advise if XOOPS would serve my purposes for the following:

I plan to create a website for a ten block district of a township that provides the following features

* links to the city's website
* page for annual schedule for trash and recycling pickup
* provides regular updates regarding Town Council meetings; any local news relevant to residents
* blog about issues affecting the city and district
* provides a forum for members to discuss issues; ideally I would like to have the capacity to create a number of subforums, if needed
* includes the personal messaging (PMs) feature (not absolutely essential though)

I've taken a look at Microsoft's Office Live Small Business, but unfortunately it appears Office Live does not include a forum feature. And the forum is essential to the concept of the site.

I have no experience with web design. I have a little experience with webmaster permissions at a hobby site with XOOPS, but that's it. If there isn't an easy auto-installation for XOOPS modules I would probably be too daunted to create a site with XOOPS since I don't know any coding languages.

I don't need or want a lot of bells and whistles. When it comes to building the site, the more user friendly and intuitive the better. Realistically, I don't expect to get more than a hundred or so registered members, at best.

If I use XOOPS to create the site, how would I host it? I have a spare PC I could use as a dedicated server. I guess I'd have to pay for a domain name, though, no?

I'm new to all of this, so please have patience with a newbie!

bjuti
Re: XOOPS suitable for a small community website? please advise
  • 2009/5/19 13:31

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Yup, XOOPS is suitable for your needs.

But you have to host your site on paid server (it's cheap, no probz), and to buy a domain for it. I dunno in wich country you are, but here in Serbia it's cheap.

When you looking for hosting, buy one with MySQL (database) and PHP5+. That's it. :)

Lemernis
  • 2009/5/19 13:37

• Lemernis

• Just popping in

Thanks!

I'm in the U.S.

Okay, so the domain name/hosting will cost something...

Hmm. Given that I have to pay anyway for the domain name and hosting, do you think it might it make more sense for me to see what kind of offer I can get from a professional web hosting site to set the whole thing up for me?

Mamba
  • 2009/5/19 13:54

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

It's not a big money (relatively speaking).
Domain is around $15/year, and the host $4/month.

You can use SurpassHosting, which is also the host for our XOOPS Website here, and we have only a very good experience with them. Use the code "xoops09" and you'll get 15% discount for the already steal-price.

The "Power Hosting" for $4/month will be more then enough for you needs.

Of course, XOOPS will be a very good solution for your needs, and we'll be glad to help you with the installation.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Lemernis
  • 2009/5/20 11:25

• Lemernis

• Just popping in

Okay, thanks, I will consider. I see that I would have to purchase a three year plan to get the $4 rate--which isn't wise if I end up wanting to change to some other host after a year... I'd have to go with the $6 rate for 12 months. Would I still get the 15% discount at that 12 month plan?

Question I forgot to ask earlier: Does XOOPS still require forum users to log in every time they visit the site? Or can members now remain logged in for extended periods of time? Even permanently?

Mamba
  • 2009/5/20 14:00

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Well, we've been with them for several years, and never had the need to look for another host

But yes, my understanding is that even if you go with the 12 months plan, you'll get the 15% XOOPS discount.

Reg. logging in - in the 2.3.x serious you can check the "Remember me" box, and you'll stay logged in pretty much permanently.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

398 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 398

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits