redheadedrod
Does moving the whole xoops directory to "trusted directory" make sense?

I am still playing catchup right now since I have been pretty much out of programming for ten year but I am wondering if I am missing something here.

Is there a reason why we can't build XOOPS to be able to reside on a "trusted directory" for all the sourcecode?

So the main directory would only contain the index.php file which would really only contain a simple include to access all the source otherwise?

Would believe it would be more secure and help prevent attacks since there would be no direct access to the source code.

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

ghia
Re: Does moving the whole xoops directory to "trusted directory" make sense?
  • 2009/3/27 0:31

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Yes, that is the recipy for the ultimate secure site, when all files are in the trusted zone and nobody can touch anything of it.

redheadedrod

As I read more about PHP and security and such it makes me wonder why it wasn't written to be put in a "trusted directory" in the first place.

Was it figured out that this format was the best format to be most compatible with everyone out there? I am assuming some setups don't allow for a directory/folder not in htdocs directory.

Guessing at this point it would be a big project to get it to work in such a format.

Seems to me that the potential of having access to the source code (Even if you have just the SQL structures and DB access stuff in a protecte directory) is a bad idea because if a hacker can figure out what modules and versions you are using and such they should be able to look through them for security issues that can be used. I also do realize that in some cases it takes a lax in security settings to actually read any of the .php files but still, if ALL of the source is in the "trusted directory" it seems like it would better secure alot of things... Might mean a change to the way things are handled in XOOPS but isn't the security risk of having the source code available an issue?

Just trying to learn the thinking of how this all works..

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

ghia
  • 2009/4/1 18:58

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
but isn't the security risk of having the source code available an issue?
No, because it is accessable by everyone, also everyone can contribute to safer solutions. Because it is exposed to everyone, you can't afford mistakes and if you do, you will quickly learn from your faults.
It is a Darwinian struggle that allows quick evolution.

Login

Who's Online

276 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 276

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits