Anonymous
Help please: Server upgrade ---> blank screen
  • 2009/3/25 16:36

• Anonymous

• Since:

Guys,

I need some advice please.

My site (xoops 2.3.3) is "white screening" after the hosting company upgraded from php5.2.5 to 5.2.8 and to MySQL 5.0.45. It was working perfectly late last night. Grr!

I've checked everything like folder permissions, cleared the caches, etc, all files are in place. Turning on debugging (through the database/phpmyadmin) didn't show anything. The database looks fine, too.

Doing a phpinfo.php type check showed the file-paths are as they were.

I'm not getting any error messages on-screen, e.g. could not connect to database, etc.

The source-code that the browser gives is:

DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<
HTML><HEAD>
<
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">HEAD>
<
BODY>BODY>HTML>

Any ideas?

I really don't want to have to rebuild my site from scratch like I did last time the upgraded something

Mamba
Re: Help please: Server upgrade ---> blank screen
  • 2009/3/25 18:20

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Try to deactivate the modules, and activate one by one. There could be a problem with one of the blocks.

There were some problems with Liase.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2009/3/25 18:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

I'll give that a go, but I'm not entirely hopeful.

I'll also try a fresh install of 2.3.3 to see if that works.

Anonymous
  • 2009/3/25 19:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Mamba wrote:

Try to deactivate the modules, and activate one by one. There could be a problem with one of the blocks.

My site is now visible, but with one module deactivated and one system block not functioning. Also, the admin panel isn't right.

Worse, I think "they" (my hosts) have rolled me back to XOOPS 2.3.2 - grrr!!

I'll have it sorted this evening and will report back more fully.

Quote:
Mamba wrote:

There were some problems with Liase.

This isn't the module I referred to above

Anonymous
Update: Help please: Server upgrade ---> blank screen
  • 2009/3/26 9:04

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi,

My site is now back as it was and fully functional

What I did:

1. I turned the site off using phpmyadmin - the site closed paged displayed so I could then login in (clever, eh?)

I was now logged in but with a white screen on the homepage. White screen also in admin when I went there directly from the URL (mysite.com/admin.php)

2. Again using phpmyadmin, I got the admin part of the site back viewable from the white-screen by deactivating all the modules (except System) one by one. One module (I won't name it because it proved not to be the module's fault) when deactivated let me into the admin. The back-end was not playing nicely using ThAdmin (some templates were obviously missing or corrupted). Switched to "default" admin theme and switched on "check for new/altered templates".

Still no front-end though.

3. Again using phpmyadmin I deactivated all the blocks on the homepage except those of the system block. Still no front end. Tried turning off the system blocks one by one and the front end appeared once the "Recent Comments" block was deactivated. Most odd and this together with the ThAdmin template issue led me to conclude that template-files were the issue.

4. I re-uploaded the XOOPS 2.3.3 core files and the module that was causing the admin-side to white-screen and very quickly things returned to normal. With the "check templates" option still set to "yes" all the modules were reactivated and updated via the admin panel.

I do not have a clue why what happened did. The white-screens coincided with a server upgrade and I had problems about 14 months ago which again coincided with a server upgrade. The site started behaving normally once some of the xoops_root/class files were uploaded. It looks to me like one of these was corrupted.

I've posted this partly because the "White Screen FAQ" didn't help me much and to share the "turn your site off so you can login" trick in the hope that it helps someone else

And yes, my hosting company (normally very good and helpful) will be receiving "feedback" later

Mamba
Re: Update: Help please: Server upgrade ---> blank screen
  • 2009/3/26 12:48

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I'm glad to hear that your site is working now!!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
Re: Update: Help please: Server upgrade ---> blank screen
  • 2009/3/26 13:12

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Mamba wrote:

I'm glad to hear that your site is working now!!!

Yeah..... both my sites on that server ("live" site and test-site) were scuppered in the same way. Most odd.

The hosting company's support staff have asked for a summary of how I sorted it for future reference, so some good might come of it

Goes to show the importance of backups, though

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits