barryc
Wanted - help updating site to Xoops 2.3
  • 2009/3/18 6:32

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I am the "webmaster" of the site www.aka.org, which presently runs under XOOPS 2.2.4. Recently my provider upgraded to PHP 5, which broke some modules, particularly newbb. I need to update both XOOPS and some of the modules but an attempt made on a mirror site ran into problems. Due to heavy commitments to other projects, I haven't been able to find the time to troubleshoot the upgrade.

I would like to consider hiring someone to help me do the upgrade. It is critical that the information in certain modules not be lost, especially the Extended Profiles, which serves as our membership database.

As our organization is a non-profit hobbyist group, I will need to get a quote(s) for this work in order to consider going ahead. If there are experienced XOOPS users/developers out there interested in helping me out, please contact me by PM.

Thanks,

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

biomech
Re: Wanted - help updating site to Xoops 2.3
  • 2009/3/22 3:04

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/25

I'm also looking to upgrade from 2.2.4 and would appreciate any help or links to helpful information.

Thanks,

-b-

biomech
  • 2009/3/22 3:41

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Is the best thing to upgrade 2.2.4 -> 2.2.5 and then -> 2.2.6, or is there a better method?

Where is the 2.2.5 download?

-b-

Marco
  • 2009/3/22 20:46

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

you can upgrade to 2.3.3, the upgrade script is able to manage an upgrade from 2.2.4. Before upgrading, don't forget to backup and test your upgrade, to check if all your pre-existant modules are still working well.
Do synergy or die.

biomech
  • 2009/3/22 22:32

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for your response.

The download page athttp://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=41586&package_id=153583&release_id=667574 looks like it has a file to upgrade from xoops-2.3.2b and then just a single 2.3.3. Which one of these would I use, and is there documentation anywhere for doing the upgrade?

Thanks,

-b-

barryc
  • 2009/3/24 20:10

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have done the upgrade but my problem is a bunch of stuff is not working properly yet. I'm working on it.

To upgrade, just download the 2.3.3 files for XOOPS (full version). In it there is a readme telling you what to do. You delete some of the files and folder, for example, mainfile.php and some others. You move the upgrade folder into the htdocs folder locally. When you've done those things, upload all the files, over-writing those on your server. Then, access the upgrade.php file via a browser. You will be walked through the upgrade.

What I have done is to create a duplicate site. I'm working on that to avoid breaking my live site, until I'm sure it will work.

I duplicated the database for my site, giving it a name like mysite23. Then I duplicated the site, putting it in a folder mysite23. I edited the mainfile.php file in the latter to reflect the new database and site paths. Once I confirmed that site was working under 2.2.4 I did the upgrade.

If you work directly on your site I agree with the advice that you must backup your site file and database before proceeding.

Good luck.
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

biomech
  • 2009/8/26 7:42

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Hi,

I'm finally working on doing this upgrade, and am first trying to get a backup of my site going. This is the root directory of my currently-working XOOPS install:

/home/kotaki/public_html

To set up a backup site, I copied the above directory and put it in a test directory under the root directory above, like this:

/home/kotaki/public_html/0-test

So the contents of public_html and public_html/0-test are the same.

I then modified the mainfile.php file in the 0-test directory to point to the 0-test directory. When I go to load the new page (under the 0-test directory) in my web browser though, I get a blank white page.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,

-b-

Mamba
  • 2009/8/26 8:43

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

My first reaction:

* you didn't rename properly all the directories in mainfile.php, and you've missed something

* you copied the files/directories to /0-test, but didn't change the permissions on /xoops_data/ subdirectories to 0777

biomech
  • 2009/8/26 8:54

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for your response...

1)
These are the two lines that I edited in mainfile.php:
define('XOOPS_ROOT_PATH', '/home/kotaki/public_html/0-test');
define('XOOPS_URL', 'http://www.kotaki.org/0-test');

2)
By "/xoops_data/ subdirectories" do you mean /home/kotaki/public_html/0-test and all of its directories? Does this included individual files as well or just directories?

Thanks,

-b-

Mamba
  • 2009/8/26 9:21

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

1) You need to adjust also the XOOPS_PATH and XOOPS_VAR_PATH (see here)

2) you should have /home/kotaki/public_html/0-test/xoops_data directory, unless you've move them somewhere else and/or renamed it to something different. There, there should be several Cache directories - all of them should be set to 777 (see the Installation instructions, especially points 3 and 4 under "Installing XOOPS" )

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits