ebaman
Need to find a working CMS (to replace my current)
  • 2008/12/28 22:02

• ebaman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/12/28

Hi All.
I need to find a CMS-Solution to replace my old one with.
Been searching around and sofar no luck.
Apart from the usual stuff I need the following:
Front end file upload capaibility, that is not restricted by server settings, something likehttp://swfupload.org/ orhttp://ftp-uploader.sourceforge.net/
Connected with something like thishttp://www.remository.com

Basically, what I need is some sort of front-end file-viwer, that can handle all types of files and comments/descriptions of them together with a thumbnail picture either uploaded at the same time, or created on the server or a default one.

The uploader needs to bypass the normal http post, using eithe a ftp-java applet or the SWF technology.

Is this possible in XOOPS?

The site is www.ebaman.com

Anonymous
Re: Need to find a working CMS (to replace my current)
  • 2008/12/28 22:52

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi Tomas,

Try to test XOOPS with extgallery or xcgal module, both similar to your gallery with more features.

ebaman
  • 2008/12/29 0:27

• ebaman

• Just popping in

Will it support .exe, .zip, .bin or whatever file type one can imagine?

Anonymous
  • 2008/12/29 2:44

• Anonymous

• Since:

xcgal module designed for display images but I think there are hack to display other files with icons.

dbman
  • 2008/12/29 6:16

• dbman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/28

Mastop Publish has nice file upload functionality. The ability to allow the mime types you mention is configurable as is the max file size upload.

Keep in mind that any module will be limited by the upload_max_filesize directive in your php.ini. Usually this is defaulted to between 2~16 Mb.

You should post your hosting situation and what your max limits and requirements would be. If your maximum file size upload limitations are too low and you can't configure your servers ini file I don't think any CMS is going to work for your situation. A workaround would be to incorporate something like ftp-uploader behind xoops. Personally I would think this is not very secure.

ghia
  • 2008/12/29 9:35

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

With XcGal you can import uploaded files. These can be uploaded with a normal FTP client (which you use for your site files) to a (sub)directory of choice, which keep them organised.
The admin import function can then organise them in categories and albums. For other media then pictures (eg pdf) a default thumbnail is showed. For the special types it may require extending the list of allowed mimetypes.

Beside the album modules, there are also some document handler, file uploader and downloader modules for XOOPS.
You can easily try them out on your local PC with eg XAMPP.

ebaman
  • 2008/12/29 10:53

• ebaman

• Just popping in

Regarding my hosting situation, in theory I dont have any limits on uploads, but the way apache works, it limits the uploads to somewhere between 20MB and 150MB, depending on networkload.
Apache times out the connection and cleans up all stuff that is left over, when using the normal POST method. (I'm hosted on a load-balanced clustered setup, thats why apache behaves like this, by design).
Apache was never designed to handle large amounts of data, so when it doesn't get any
HTTP GET/POST etc it thinks that the connection is dead (the upload is not a part of the original connection).
Since I need to be able to have uploads of at least 1GB, the normal HTTP POST method is off no use at all.

However FLASH seems to work in a different way, and I have tested the flashuploader I linked to with a 700MB file without any problems.

The FTP-Java applet I linked to works as well with larger files, however, its a little bit unsafe, for obvious reasons.
This can somewhat be circumvented by having a number of FTP-accounts, that is rotated, and a temporary uploadfolder that is cleaned out after every upload, however that would not stop malicious people to store unwanted material on the server.
So, it seems to me that the FLASH uploader is the best way to go, since it intergrates with PHP nicely.

Now, regarding the display frontend, I want the user/uploader to be able to select an icon for the file and to be able to upload a thumb-nail picture of the file as well, together with the original file.

He should be able to select the folder/category where the file should end up.

All files should/Must be stored on the disk file system, not the database.

The file should not be published until adm approval, hence a message should be sent to adm when a file is uploaded.

There should be some download quota system, connected to how many files the user uploads.

Only registered users should be able to upload or download files.
Visitors is only allowed to browse the respository.

It should be possible to enter a comment about the file, i.e the quality, missing pages etc.

Preferably (to save bandwidth for non-dsl users) there should be an option to only display a folder-like view, with no thumbnails or graphics (diplayed on demand).

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits