englishdad
help with migrating a site
  • 2008/11/13 16:58

• englishdad

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/11/13

Hi All

Firstly please excuse my complete ignorance as I am a total newbie to XOOPS and have only just encountered it when looking to move our site from one server to another!

As I'm very unfamiliar with exactly what XOOPS does I'll explain my situation first. When I log in to our site (which appears to be written in PHP) I get a link to an administration menu which takes me to XOOPS control panel home (my first encounter of xoops!!).

From there I have a number of options (interactive boxes) down the left hand side where I can do various tasks. It appears to be powered by version 2.0.16.

I have been asked (as the most website/internet savvy person amongst us!!!) to find out how we can take our site and host it elsewhere since our current provider is constantly unavailable and useless so my question to you guys out there is, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this going, eg

Do I need a copy of anything else other than the site itself (i.e. if I have a copy of the server directory the site resides in does that include xoops)

What type of server do I need to host the site on to take account of xoops

Does anyone know what ????? is as it was mentioned that it is used somewhere on the site (is this part of xoops)

Are there any databases involved that would need migrating as well

I apologise for my lack of knowledge and thank you in advance for absolutely ANY help you can give me

Cheers!!

sailjapan
Re: help with migrating a site

Do you have CPanel installed on your host's server?
If you do, you could choose a new host which has the same CPanel, and simply download a back up of the home directory and DB (yes, XOOPS uses a database. Usually MySQL) from your current server and upload them to your new server.
Don't forget to find and make a note of your db username and password.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

englishdad
  • 2008/11/14 9:33

• englishdad

• Just popping in

Hi sialjapan

Thanks for your reply. I honestly don't know if cpanel is installed. Would this be on a windows or a linux server?? If cpanel is not installed does this make it awkward/impossible???

Thanks

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/14 9:48

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi,

All you need is:

1. A copy of all your website's files
2. A back-up of your database (use phpMyAdmin if not available through a cPanel)
3. Details of your new server path, url and database name (to edit mainfile.php with the new settings)

There is a FAQ available on this site.

Do a google search for backing up a database with phpMyAdmin (this is what most cPanels use anyway!).

I've done it quite a few times and it's actually not all that difficult.

HTH

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/14 9:52

• Anonymous

• Since:

First time backed up my database (using phpMyAdmin via a cPanel) I followed this tutorial:

http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/backup/

Hope it helps.

englishdad
  • 2008/11/14 17:00

• englishdad

• Just popping in

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll take a look after the weekend!!

Time for a beer!! :)

design4cms
  • 2008/11/25 23:47

• design4cms

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/11/19

nice answer, send me a message if you get stuck

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits