nmshah
smartsection and item page title
  • 2008/11/10 19:37

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Even though i dont seem to be getting any answers to any question that i am posting about smartsection module specially regarding things related to seo still i will try my luck again.

How can i change the way in which the meta title is selected by smartsection module. What i mean is currently the meta title for an items page is something like this:

article title - category title

In most of my article cases the category title has words that are repeating in article title. For example the category title is positive thinking and the article title is positive thinking concept. The meta title for the article page thus becomes

positive thinking concept - positive thinking

is there a way to change the meta title from article title - category title to only article title.

BTW smartsection is probably the best article module available. Thanks for this module. I just hope it can be made completely seo friendly.

Speed
Re: smartsection and item page title
  • 2008/11/10 20:32

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

This should be easy to accomplish by editing the appropriate template.

1) Go to Tools > Templates and click the CLONE button on right to create a new set of templates. You cannot edit the default templates.

2) Find the appropriate template to edit. In your case, open the SmartSection and then look at each template to find the one you want to change.

3) Edit the code in your cloned template. It's probably a Smarty shortcut. And the line you want to delete probably includes:
{$block.lang_category}

Here's a larger snippet from one of the templates to show you what you are looking for in context:
<tr>
    <
th class="head" nowrap="nowrap"><{$block.lang_title}></th>
    <
th class="head" nowrap="nowrap" align="left"><{$block.lang_category}></th>
    <
th class="head" nowrap="nowrap" align="right" width="120"><{$block.lang_date}></th>
  </
tr>

NOTE: If you make a mistake or want to revert back to the original, you can always DELETE and then GENERATE a cloned template.

4) Now to SEE your new template you need to tell XOOPS that you are not using the defaults. Open PREFERENCES -> SYSTEM -> GENERAL SETTINGS and change the DEFAULT TEMPLATE SET to the one you have cloned.

5) And because I always forget.... Turn on the CHECK TEMPLATES FOR MODIFICATIONS. Once you are done editing and everything is working you will want to turn this off again.

Done.

nmshah
  • 2008/11/10 21:19

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

thanks a lot. I will try that out.

But i am not sure if I was able to explain myself clearly. What i mean by the title is the <title>page title</title>

SO what I am looking to change is the title tag in the header for search engine purpose.

I hope your solution works. Will get back with results

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/10 22:48

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yes, it is a really good module, but perhaps you're not getting many replies because the module's developers don't tend to frequent this site anymore.

For specific questions about the module and hacks thereto you might be better posting on the dev's forums, which are linked fromhttp://www.smartfactory.ca/

HTH

nmshah
  • 2008/11/10 23:05

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

I have tried posted there too but not much help for now at least.
In the mean time i am trying some permutation combinations to see if i can come up with something.
The only problem is that my knowledge about anything other than html when it comes to websites is almost zero. But then this also gives me a lot of opportunities to learn new things. Anyways i did not mean to complain its just that i am trying my level best to make things work for my website but somehow have not yet been successful.

Anyways its coz of all the help that i have got here that i have been able to make 3-4 sites using xoops. So i'll also like to thank everyone here.

trabis
  • 2008/11/11 0:07

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Sure, got to class/smartmetagen.php

around line 180 comment out the lines as follow:
/*
        if (isset($titleTag['category']) && $titleTag['category'] != '') {
            if ($ret != '') {
                $ret .= ' - ';
            }
            $ret .= $titleTag['category'];
        }  */

nmshah
  • 2008/11/11 9:54

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

Thanks a lot, exactly what i wanted

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits