sailjapan
2.0.13.2 to 2.3 upgrade. Blocks cannot be moved around

Hi, I saw the post here and wonder if it applies to my problem.
I am unable to move any of my blocks (though they all display). I have cleared templates_c and cache. Have also cleared cache in browser (and tried several different browsers too).

If the fix DJ mentions in his reply to that post above might work for my problem, how do I apply the fix considering that I've already upgraded?

Environment:
Operating system Linux
Machine Type i686
Apache version 2.0.63
PHP version 5.2.5
MySQL version 5.0.51a-community

Thanks in advance (and I'm really impressed with how painless this upgrade has been so far! Hat's off to the devs!)

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

sailjapan
Re: 2.0.13.2 to 2.3 upgrade. Blocks cannot be moved around

could have been that my theme is pre XOOPS 2.0.14 and didn't have/use the lower block locations.
I'm trying a more modern theme to see if things improve.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Marco
  • 2008/10/4 10:05

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

well, wait for 2.3.1RC, then try to launch the upgrader again.
Perhaps you will have to force back your actual website release number to your old XOOPS instance release number, so that the upgrader could detect there is something to do, and run again the upgrader. Backup up before, but i guess this should work.
Do synergy or die.

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/4 10:50

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
sailjapan wrote:

I'm trying a more modern theme to see if things improve.

Adapt your current theme perhaps?

I can help you if you don't know what to do - it's actually not that difficult or time-consuming. Just need the missing code pasted into theme.html (get it from another theme) and some additions to style.css

sailjapan

Cheers for the advice Marco, and the offer of help John.
I'm wondering, is there a way to force XOOPS to regenerate it's blocks?
Since I last wrote, I've noticed that the block behaviour is stranger than I thought. For example, the bottom blocks crowd them selves over to the left, almost as if there were an option to add a third block, over on the right.
I also find that if I clone a block, there's a 50/50 chance I can move it around as I would expect...

I've actually found rather a nice theme that I'm going to try and use, so it won't be the theme I need to modify. Which files might I go and have a look at to see if I can sort out the blocks. Maybe some tables need adding into the db... what should the table "block_module_link" hold?

Marco
  • 2008/10/4 17:08

• Marco

• Home away from home

now you can test with 2.3.1RC
Do synergy or die.

sailjapan

That was quick Nicely done!

Do you think I should
Quote:
will have to force back your actual website release number to your old XOOPS instance release number
and if so, how to do it?

Marco
  • 2008/10/4 17:20

• Marco

• Home away from home

try first to run the upgrade script again
Do synergy or die.

sailjapan

Well, I ran the upgrade script as suggested, and was surprised to see it report that it was necessary to upgrade from 2.0.18 rather than from 2.3
Maybe this will fix things, I thought. No such luck
I still have total hit and miss luck with the blocks, as before, the bottom left and right block settings squeeze over to the left of the page as if waiting for another block to the right. Newly created blocks may or maynot end up where I want them, and long established blocks are unpredictable.
Wondering what on earth could be causing this...

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits