LeenkzMike
Downloads Question
  • 2008/9/13 22:28

• LeenkzMike

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/1 1

Hello Everyone:

I am Mike, and I am pretty new to the XOOPS environment. I have read thru this forums a lot and have done all the preliminaries like installing protector, backup, and XOOPS info.

I am now moving into adding content to my site, a big part of what I want to do is offer downloads, so I have also installed one of the downloads modules, I think I have the same one used here.

I want only registered members to be able to download, and I have accomplished that, by setting permissions.

But what I want to know, and have not been able to find is:

Is there a way I can let anonymous users "see" the downloads, but not be able to download them? The way I have it now, anonymous users can't even see the downloads area on their menu, which is fine, but I would like them to be able to see the downloads area, but be asked to register before they can download.

Hope some one can help me!!

Mamba
Re: Downloads Question
  • 2008/9/15 2:14

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Mike, welcome to XOOPS! I hope, you'll find our CMS as productive as we do!

Quote:
Is there a way I can let anonymous users "see" the downloads, but not be able to download them?

I don't think it's possible "out of box" - you have all or nothing.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

LeenkzMike
  • 2008/9/15 4:12

• LeenkzMike

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/1 1

Thanks Mamba:

I was not for sure this could be done, and I am not able to hire someone to code it this way at the moment, so I am prepared to deal with the fact.

So far I am dealing with it this way: Anytime I add a download, I also write a "News", so peeps that can not see the downloads, can at least see a "News" article about the download.

It is working for the time being!

sailjapan

or you could use something like mxdirectory to show an image and description, then include a link to downloads which only members would have access to...
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

yeppers
  • 2008/9/15 13:23

• yeppers

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/15

i'm pretty sure vaughan @ smartfactory did something with wfdownloads to allow users to see downloads, but not actually download them. it might be in the preferences of wfdownloads. if not then there is definitely a hack somewhere with instructions of how to do it on the smartfactory website.

i think you need to remove 1 or 2 lines from a couple of files, and then add a couple of lines to visit.php instead.

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits