Peekay
Domains. Once registered - lost forever?
  • 2008/8/28 20:17

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I cancelled the renewal of a couple of domains about 6 months ago (with 123-Reg) and kinda expected they would wind up back on the open market sooner or later.

Instead, they continue to remain 'already registered' and now lead to one of those stupid pseudo-search pages containing links to loosely related sites.

Does cancelling renewal of a domain now automatically pass ownership to the registrar, rather than make it available again?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

LeenkzMike
Re: Domains. Once registered - lost forever?
  • 2008/9/14 17:10

• LeenkzMike

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/1 1

I am not an expert on this, but it has happened to me before. The registrar kept it for a few months (I am assuming to see if they can sell it for more than the base price) then if they don't get any interest, they finally release it.

Just my opinion.

ghia
  • 2008/9/14 21:19

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
Does cancelling renewal of a domain now automatically pass ownership to the registrar, rather than make it available again?
No, they have to buy it, like everyone else (altough they may have a better rate)!

The domains are selected on previous performance and because most registrars are also the hosters, they have first hand information and while they register on behalf of the client, they know when it is abandoned and can then continue the domain without possible interference from others at the end date.

As long as people will pay extra for such domains, the practice will remain.

If you cancel a domain, cancel with no regrets, otherwise pay for it to keep. (Check also that the name is registered on you and not on the registrar.)

Peekay
  • 2008/10/3 17:17

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx for that info Ghia.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

webhosting
  • 2008/11/16 14:55

• webhosting

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/11/16

If you will not renew the domain name the registrator will not became the owner.

There are many people who buy expired domains and put advertisements on them. The idea is that there will be still some traffic and some % of the visitors will click the add.

Login

Who's Online

134 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 134

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits