DobePhat
Moving From IIS to Apache
  • 2008/6/4 16:13

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Any concerns I should know about? The problems we've had with some modules lately gotta be from IIS. Would like to switch over to Apache.

This doesn't actually affect XOOPS configuration does it..its just all server related? Any links you suggest for such a process?

Thanks so much! Probably making a bigger deal than it is,( but you know how it can be when dealing with projects you've worked hard on).

Thanks in advance!

Peekay
Re: Moving From IIS to Apache
  • 2008/6/4 20:00

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I develop XOOPS sites using WinXP/IIS. I host the results on Linux/Apache.

Apart from the inability to use htaccess on the localhost setup, I find there is absolutely no difference in operation of XOOPS or it's modules.

Having said that, you probably have a far better chance of a web host setting up PHP + Apache properly than PHP + IIS (IMHO)
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

DobePhat
  • 2008/6/4 20:52

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks , yeah just cant help but feel that IIS is not set up properly on my Host. Everything works fine when I use Apache (locally) I'm going to ask them to look into it one more time before attempting the switch. Good to know there is not other major difference as far as basic op. goes.

DobePhat
  • 2008/6/21 2:34

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

OK ..Apache is kicking my butt.
It looks as though its going to be faster but ther is a problem,

heres the situation..
The site works fine when closed. phpinfo works so its parsing php..
but as soon as we open the site...

whoosh blank pages left and right and the site is virtually inoperable. Have to immediately close it off to get it working again.

Any thoughts on this? been spending a whole lot of time trying various configurations. frustrating endeavor....
Particulary cant find any support sites for windoze and apache and XOOPS environment..
thanks

Peekay
  • 2008/6/21 10:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

There is an article in the FAQ about troubleshooting blank pages. If you have set the permissions correctly for XOOPS folders and module folders (check the readme in each module) there are a number of factors that can cause problems:

* PHP and MySQL versions.

Many modules will simply not work with PHP 5 or MySQL 5. Your guess is as good as mine as to which ones do.

* PHP Register_globals.

It should be OFF for best security, but again some old modules may not work with this setting. You can overide with htaccess, but it's not advisable.

* Corrupt PHP files.

You should always use ASCII (text) mode to FTP PHP files. Some cheaper FTP apps auto-detect incorrectly and use binary mode. It shouldn't make a difference - but in my experience it can, especially if a module was developed using a UNIX or Mac text editor.

* Trailing spaces or line breaks.

A trailing space or line break after the closing PHP tag will cause the file to fail. A common problem if you're not careful when editing config files like mainfile.php, especially if you edit online using the CPanel or Plesk file editor.

* PHP Safe Mode.

This is nearly always ON by default. To be honest, this has never affected any XOOPS module in my experience (it's ON on my server) but I suppose it could.

To troubleshoot, enable debug in XOOPS admin and check the output. 'Undefined variable' notices could (not always) indicate that a module needs register_globals ON.

HTH
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

DobePhat
  • 2008/6/21 14:18

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks for your response.
Im happy to report that someone from our webhost went in and gave a hard look and noticed that there were some variations and file mix ups with PHP version. Leadding to some corrupt paths and files. This also affected config file for Apache.

During this transfer went with all updated stuff so yes did not ice at least two module variants were not working. (very old x-directory modules customized) but I think ill transfer those to the new MX-directory or something.

-thanks

BTW-I wasn't clear before,these weren't standard XOOPS blank pages, it was like server resets or timeouts-

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits