Ronaldus
Support your community members!
  • 2008/4/28 14:13

• Ronaldus

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/5/8 1

Well, I thoroughly looked where to put this topic, but this forum, the "Community Support" forum, certainly is the most suitable place for it.

Last weekend we had a case of misuse of power on xoops.org.
For those of you who only browse the topics that are on the frontpage, in short:
Shine, a highly respected member, with 900+ posts filled with help for other XOOPS users, was banned by Mamba because she mentioned ICMS in one of her replies to another user.
She did not use this term in order to harm/damage xoops.
You can read this original thread over here.

As you can read here there was a discussion about this rather fundamental matter.
I really think it's important to make your own judgements here, so please read this thread.

At the end we find a link to the official Dutch reaction. IMHO a very respectfull and thoriugh reaction from an important part of the XOOPS community, in which xoops.nl is very clear that the banning of a XOOPS user, and most certainly such a respected XOOPS user, is NOT acceptable.

Certain steps are asked to be made.

So far, there has been no (more or less official) reaction whatsoever.
Silently, the ban was made undone and that's it apparently.

Well, not to me.

Quote:

Therefore on behalf of the Dutch XOOPS community:
We ask the moderators on XOOPS.org to change back all deletions and edits made. We want Shine to be fully and openly rehabilitated in the XOOPS.org community.
And we ask the specific moderator and the XOOPS counsel to take steps which prevent the XOOPS project to come in such a disrespectful situation again in the future. XOOPS has suffered already to much through this kind of actions in past. Much more of it XOOPS won’t be able to handle.

On behalf of the Dutch XOOPS community,
XOOPS.nl team.

I would like some clarity now on how the community reacts on this. Remember: this could happen to you when you include a term in a reply that doesn't fit in the interpretation of the "Terms and conditions of use" of a moderator called Mamba.

Up to this moment the reactions are disappointing. A lot of members sympathise with Shine and x.nl, for which we thank them, but so far nothing is happened what might be interpretated as an open excuse
to Shine. Also, no measures are taken to prevent such a misuse of power from a moderator in the future.

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I SPELL IT OUT ONE MORE TIME: rehabilitate Shine. NOW!

Thanks for your attention and kind regards,

Ronaldus
Re: Support your community members!
  • 2008/4/28 14:50

• Ronaldus

• Friend of XOOPS

Yep, and without any form of comunication this topic is moved to the members lounge.

I do not agree: this is too important to keep behind the curtains.
Or redefine "open" please.

Mamba
  • 2008/4/28 15:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Ronaldus, please do not spread false accusations.

Shine was NOT banned because she mentioned another project. Her account was deactivated because she refused to accept our Terms of Use, and decided to leave XOOPS.

After she posted her message with the link, we've edited it and went the extra mile to notify her about it with a polite email. As several other people responded earlier to your other thread, this is a standard procedure on other boards as well, that links to competing products/projects are edited.

Again: nobody was EVER banned for one-off posting of a link to another project.

And Shine is welcome back any time, assuming that she accepts XOOPS Terms of Use, as the rest of us on this Website.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

trabis
  • 2008/4/28 22:09

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
Ronaldus, please do not spread false accusations.

Shine was NOT banned because she mentioned another project. Her account was deactivated because she refused to accept our Terms of Use, and decided to leave XOOPS.

Your are both wrong IMHO.

Shine WAS banned because she refuse to accept XOOPS Terms of use. This is pretty clear to me.
As I asked in another thread, please take away all the IPS restritions for users who have refused to accept XOOPS TOS.

People should be (at least) free to read and agree with the TOS.

trabis
  • 2008/4/30 22:15

• trabis

• Core Developer

And?
Can I expect an reply?
A quick one, yes or no will mean very much to me.
Thanks.

Mamba
  • 2008/5/1 5:21

• Mamba

Trabis, I'm not sure I understand you.

People are free to read and agree to the TOS when they come and register with us.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

trabis
  • 2008/5/1 11:44

• trabis

• Core Developer

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
Trabis, I'm not sure I understand you.

People are free to read and agree to the TOS when they come and register with us.

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=63834&forum=11&post_id=287915#forumpost287915

Thanks for your atention Mamba.

Mamba
  • 2008/5/1 12:32

• Mamba

Trabis, I am still not sure that I understand it.
Quote:
Access to the TERMS OF USE and free choice to agree or not should be availiable to everybody, no exception.

The XOOPS "Terms of Use" are at the bottom of the main page when you come to XOOPS:
www.xoops.org
and everyone, incl. all anonymous visitors can see it. This is a standard position where most of the Websites have them.

Now, if somebody wants to register with XOOPS, s/he will be explicitly asked to agree to those Terms of Use. Again, they are free to agree to it and register, and they can disagree, and the registration will be canceled.

If this doesn't address your question, could you please help with better understanding of your question?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

trabis
  • 2008/5/1 14:34

• trabis

• Core Developer

How can people access to the TERMS OF USE if they have their IP blocked in protector?
People that did not agree to the TERMS OF USE should not have their IP blocked, they should only have their account deactivated.
I´d like to know if you have already unblocked Shine and others like for example, MR.Theme .

Ronaldus
  • 2008/5/1 15:07

• Ronaldus

• Friend of XOOPS

Dear Mamba,

I'm really getting a bit tired of you, and I'm gonna end this discussion.
I really appreciate the things you do for xoops, especially in the so called back-office.
But sometimes in the front-office, especially in this case, I'm convinced you messed up. This doesn't have to be a problem: people make misstakes and can put things straight, or at least a little bit.
However, I do not see the least bit of compassion in your attitude in this case, and IMHO you lack some political intuition.

For someone in a position like you I think that's a fitfall.
I hope this won't get you in trouble in the future, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Bottomline: a bit of "softness" can do no harm. Like Lau Tze (an old Chinese wise man) said: softness will win over hardness.

Kind regards,

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits