Trener
Using translated files on another site
  • 2008/1/21 16:58

• Trener

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/16

Hello!

I have one question. Actually I think I'm allowed to this what I'm asking for but I'm not sure. And when we work with something like net pages I think it's better to be sure.

Well I have set one site with modules forum, AMS and news. I started to translate everything while I'm from Slovenia and audience will be from my country. Translating is going well and I'm satisfied with the way XOOPS manage languages.

What is the question? At this time I'm setting another site. I did new installation of XOOPS with some modules. I will also be using forum module here as well. And will also need to translate it. So, may I use the translated files from first already translated site and just upload it to the same place/directory on my newly installed site? Am I allowed to do this?

Because I don't know if those files change during instalation. If don't it would be secure to use them again. If do then really wouldn't be good to do such task.

I know. I should translate the modules and XOOPS before I installed it on server. I did opposite. I first set the page and then I started to translate live, directly from the server.

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer.

irmtfan
Re: Using translated files on another site
  • 2008/1/21 19:05

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

xoops read languages straight from php files without any mask.
it means when you change a definition inside a php language file it takes effect in the site directly and you do not need to do any extra work.( try yourself)
it is available in both Core and Module (main.php, admin.php, blocks.php,...) languages.
there is just one exception. some definitions inside modinfo.php dont update instantly after change and you have to update the module itself.

also there are a plenty of FAQs here in xoops.org for you.
just search and learn.

ps: if you like please send your translation in Slovenia for council and i put it in the XOOPS core development.
just send it to xoops-council[ATT]googlegroups[DOTT]com

Trener
  • 2008/1/21 20:26

• Trener

• Just popping in

I understand everything you wrote. I do this all the time. Change something in PHP files and reflects strait on the page.

What I need to know is if the files are the same all the time. Before installing the XOOPS and after. The same question for modules. Are files unchanged after the module is installed?

I'd like to use translated PHP files from existing already installed site on another not translated site. Is it OK to do this?

And the answer about publishing translated core and modules. Me and one other guy are talking about setting Slovenian XOOPS site. We are still counseling. I can't promise anything. Maybe we will succeed.

Trener
  • 2008/1/31 19:20

• Trener

• Just popping in

Hm, it's strange noone knows the answer.

kurak_bu
  • 2008/1/31 20:24

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/9/5 1

Quote:

What I need to know is if the files are the same all the time. Before installing the XOOPS and after. The same question for modules. Are files unchanged after the module is installed?

Yes, sure, lang files are not changed by XOOPS during its work.

Trener
  • 2008/1/31 22:34

• Trener

• Just popping in

Thanks very much for this. This is tge answer I really needed. Now I can use translated files on other site which I have set recently. And I don't need to translate everything ones again.

The second thing I will be able is use files for the Slovenian language for certain modules.

I appricciate this really. Thank you very much again.

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits