hiflyer
No images, menus not vertical in themes in 2.0.18
  • 2008/1/17 3:00

• hiflyer

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/3/7 3

I have been running a couple XOOPS sites from about 2.0.12 on up to 2.0.17 with great success.

I just created a brand new site with a fresh install of 2.0.18. Install went fine.
But I'm having a couple strange bugs:
1) There don't seem to be any thumbnails/images. No logo image at the top of the default (or any other) theme (I have verified logo.gif is present in the themes/default folder). No thumbnail images for modules on the admin page (but the links are there - the menus pop out when I hover over the right spot).
2) Many themes (phpkaox, fiapple blue, fisubgrey) aren't showing the menus in a vertical column, just a wrapping list. (default theme seems to be fine). No idea if this is related to problem 1) but thought I'd include it in case since I don't have this problem on other sites.

Any ideas?

BlueStocking
Re: No images, menus not vertical in themes in 2.0.18

This is a fresh install with 2.0.18 RC

http://xoops-end-user.com/xoops01/
with html shots of the various pages listed.

The only problem was with the smileys.
The fix for that is listed on the left test block link.

Are you SURE the cache folder permissions are set for write access ... come to think of it, that was an initial install problem for me. After double checking the folders they still had to be set from within the cpanel. (could be the way my server now handles permissions) ftp changing them did not work.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

hiflyer
  • 2008/1/17 3:41

• hiflyer

• Not too shy to talk

BlueStocking - thanks for the quick response! Cache folder is verified 777.

I also tried emptying the templates_c folder (except index.html)

tinyfilms.org is the site if it helps to see it - phpkaox is the default theme to show the menu block issue

Also tried uploading an avatar - no avatar shows after upload.
Also, pictures uploaded to Yogurt module (yes, I realize its Beta so it may be it's own problem but didn't see this in the bug list) just shows a placeholder - no thumbnail. Clicking on placeholder link opens the new windows but only a blank white background, no pic.

BlueStocking

At first I just got a red x box for the logo then went to pull it up directhttp://tinyfilms.org/themes/zetagenesis/img/header-logo.png

It came in ok so when I went back to view the page the logo was there.

The same thing happened with the other images, once put into the cache they view fine.

I would blame the browser at this point.

This was using a IE6, and zetagenesis

THEN

I went to FireFox....

Everything was horrible.

Which brings me to, if you could view my site without a problem, it works well for me in both FireFox and IE6 then it must be your install and some corrupt files.

I would recommend you redo the install.

and just try it FIRST with the default themes installed with the core. Adding the other themes one at a time to see if they are giving you the problem.

Then the modules, one at a time until I found the culprit.

BlueStocking

hiflyer
  • 2008/1/17 5:01

• hiflyer

• Not too shy to talk

Hmm, I just tried that direct link and get a 403 forbidden.
I honestly can't remember at this point if the issue was there prior to installing other themes/modules.

I'm also wondering if it's my host/server. They said they're having some "permissions" issues (my mainfile.php keeps going back to writeable by owner 644 instead of 444) and I'm occasionally getting 404 and 403 pages randomly.

Time to let everything (including me) sleep overnight and try fresh tomorrow with a fresh install.

Thanks for checking on it!

BlueStocking

It really does install beautifully, so I would make sure I had everything deleted, (in case of bug) and do a complete new install. (mainfile changing permissions looks suspicious to me)

Good luck, all will look better in the am...

BS

Will_H
  • 2008/1/17 9:07

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

You should probably check your mainfile.php and make sure your physical and virtual paths are correct. Sounds like you may have put a trailing slash on, or left one out.

hiflyer
  • 2008/1/17 15:43

• hiflyer

• Not too shy to talk

Fresh install (and permissions now working properly) - same issue. Although the XOOPS banner (but not logo) were showing for a while. Disappeared and won't come back after trying to go to zetagenesis them.

url straight to logo file works fine. Paths look fine in mainfile.php - I'd think there would be other issues if the paths were incorrect (and I haven't manually modified mainfile.php at all).

And now I'm getting the "login bug" in IE7! (The one that sends you back to the login page even after the "thanks for logging in" page. This bug is driving me nuts on another installation on an old site with a different host.) Firefox doesn't have that bug on this site - yet.

So fresh install, no themes or modules added - still no images showing.

hiflyer
  • 2008/1/17 16:55

• hiflyer

• Not too shy to talk

I tried a fresh install through the hosts Fantastico installer (Xoops v 2.0.16) - same issue.

Tried installing to my main domain (tinyfilms.org is an add-on) under a sub-folder and it is working fine. So apparently it's an issue with trying to install to my add-on domain. I'll see what my host tech support says since it appears to be an issue there (or somehow the mainfile.php links aren't working).

hiflyer
  • 2008/1/18 1:23

• hiflyer

• Not too shy to talk

Ah, figured it out. The host has "Hotlinks Protection" that was on by default and the new domain was not added to the ok list. Seems to be working fine now. Wasn't a XOOPS problem at all.

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits