preachur
Static URLs - SEO - Targeted Advertising
  • 2007/12/7 6:12

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Hey everyone. First I want to say to jlm69... GREAT JOB RE-DESIGNING THE CLASSIFIED ADS MODULE. It totally rocks and is easy to customize. Thanks for that great work.

Now, I have read the Emma Watson short tutorial on URL re-writing. I like the concept but it doesn't seem to work for what I want to do. I have stopped building sites with too many modules. Instead, I am now building simpler sites with just a few critical modules per site, and one module is featured in each.

I have come to a problem. I am not so worried about the SEO side as I am targeting advertising. On the site I am working on,http://boulderfreecycle.org, I have used the Classifieds module to build a free listings site for Boulder, Colorado. I would like to be able to sell premium banner advertising to local businesses to fund the site. In order to do this I would need a static page for each category. That way a used car store could have top and side banners in the automotive category, and a clothing consignment store in the clothing section, etc. However, I haven't been able to figure out a way to do this.

With the subscription module, the classified module and static html pages this site would be a perfect free community resource. I have been searching all of the XOOPS knowledge bases, FAQs, etc. for 3 days without a good solution. Does anyone have any ideas?

Like I said, I just need each category page to be static so each can have it's own banners. This would also allow for SEO of each category as well. Can anyone help?

Glad to see the site back up and looking great!

Preachur
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

script_fu
Re: Static URLs - SEO - Targeted Advertising

Hum why dont you just feed the site with Open Ads?

preachur
  • 2007/12/7 6:46

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

I'm not sure how openads works. Could I set up an advertiser for each category?

script_fu

Sure or you could use your other idea. Just wrap a page of html into your site and use the open ads tags to pull the add.

http://www.openads.org/quicktour/user-targeting

http://forum.openads.org/

It really is a pretty cool way of doing things.

I haven't had the time to really study it yet. So I hope my suggestion doesn't waste your time!

Please post back if that did the trick?

Do not for get about the phpadsnews integration tutorial for xoops.

I am trying to remember who wrote it...

preachur
  • 2007/12/7 7:03

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

I just saw your reply. I will install open ads and test it out.

Actually, I just read the documentation and user guide. It doesn't appear to do what I need it to do. It could HELP but I still need the individual static html pages for each category. (or just a wrapped php page for each category.)

I suppose I can figure out how to code the whole thing somehow. I just thought there might be an easier solution than re-building the whole site.

I still think there needs to be a static solution for XOOPS that isn't dependent on url_rewrite and that doesn't have to be coded one page at a time. Especially for modules with many categories.

script_fu

Cool i was trying to edit the darn thing...

Based on what you just said the phpadsnews might not help either.

preachur
  • 2007/12/7 7:57

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

Hmmm.... It seems like everyone is more focused on the short URLs than individual meta tags, etc.

My daydream:
It would be possible to create a module+theme combo that would use the dynamic content from any module and generate fully operational short URL pages, each with it's own meta information. Then you could code in your own advertising blocks or whatever else you wanted. It could even have an administrated main menu block that could possibly replace the default XOOPS block.....

You install the module and the basic theme which you could customize. (or hack your existing theme.) Then just add in your category url from modules like news or classifieds... example url:http://boulderfreecycle.org/modules/classifieds/index.php?pa=Adsview&cid=2
Then add in your meta information, page name, description, etc. Hit submit and the module creates the page in the root and the URL would be like:http://yoursite.com/automobiles.php and you have the choice of adding it to the main menu or not. The meta tags would come from the module's meta tags database table. That module combined with a module like content, POSSIBLY a few simple hacks of the parent modules, and you could use XOOPS to create the best sites in the world. You could use it to optimize, customize and re-build every part of a module or XOOPS site.

I know enough to know this is possible, but not enough to create it myself from scratch. I will learn eventually, but I don't have time right now. Too many projects and school and work....

BUT: I would love to help as much as I can if someone else wants to try it.

There, that was my daydream.

script_fu

Quote:

preachur wrote:
Hmmm.... It seems like everyone is more focused on the short URLs than individual meta tags, etc.

My daydream:
It would be possible to create a module+theme combo that would use the dynamic content from any module and generate fully operational short URL pages, each with it's own meta information. Then you could code in your own advertising blocks or whatever else you wanted. It could even have an administrated main menu block that could possibly replace the default XOOPS block.....

I tell you thats a tall order. I hope in the near future we will have these options as well.

Btw you just described drupal right out of the box.

trabis
  • 2007/12/7 13:52

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

It´s a good ideia but you will get duplicate content on your site and I don´t think that´s very good for SEO.
It´s very easy to do I think. Create a module that asks the URL you want to convert. Then it opens the url, get the file contents and search and replace current keywords, description, etc for the ones you want. Saves as html with the name you want and it´s done. The module could have a block to get the pages you created and present them as a menu. Is that the ideia?

preachur
  • 2007/12/8 10:08

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

exactly

Well, it almost seems like it would be easier for me to modify the classifieds module so there is a field for banner code on each category. I only want one advertiser per category.... I need to finish this project fast because I have so many in the works right now.

An html description field for each category that shows at the top or something would help. Not quite sure how easy this will be, but I will investigate.

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits