tom
XOOPS.ORG hiding recent posts from the front page
  • 2007/12/4 15:48

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Don't move my post this time, this is a question that deserves an answer.

Why are not all forums shown in the recent posts block, what are you trying to hide?
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

Mamba
Re: XOOPS.ORG hiding recent posts from the front page
  • 2007/12/4 17:00

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

OK, it's a newly restored Website. There might be some technical problems with the migration.

Why don't you just report a problem without insinuating a conspiracy?

Is it asking too much?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

tom
  • 2007/12/4 17:30

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
Is it asking too much?

Well yes actually.

And if there were technical problems, what technical problem would that be, which wouldn't effect the rest of the block or couldn't be fixed easily?

I've moved a lot of sites between servers and databases, yes some bigger, never had this issue or an issue which couldn't be resolved fairly easily.

And I reported the problem, but my posts keep getting moved to forums where they can't be seen, this is the next problem.
Kind Regards.
Tom

BlueStocking

Mamba,
1) It is technical.

I don't know what is going on with the proposal/project council because I haven't seen any reports in sometime. I spoke with Crip and it seems that DJ is being tarred for re-opening this site not using the servers offered to him, but instead opting for using a dedicated server.

I am strongly of the opinion, that all this outage is due to two lines of code placed in Giba's file by someone with access to XOOPS server and SourceForge. (without Giba's knowledge)

These two lines of code, placed in xtm.php with the help of the server people gave full administrative control to themselves. I found two of these companion files myself, Quota and Membership in my database, and Giba's people found the xtm.php in his /xoopsers/class/xml/rss directory. (it was also on my server, hypermart.) His came from being planted in the distribution package on SourceForge, mine came from a server upgrade leftover in the move, to allow for the interaction of the distribution files implantation.

Having identified the files, the code and the method of access, I believe it is prudent to let DJ put the xoops.org on a server where if and when it goes down again in this matter, we know exactly where to expect the recovery to be handled.

As it is now, I am going to help in the recovery of the dev.xoops.org site and restore the recoverable content to this wiki.

I am very resentful to the fact that XI was started by the person that publically stated he could take down a server with two lines of php code programing. I never doubted this fact and someone with that knowledge should have protected the backups. Instead there were none.

For me, I am going to give DJ a chance.

The proposal/project link is on the wiki page. I think it is time whatever business is being held in secret on another server be bought over here and finished on xoops.org turf.

As I see it the turf war is over, everybody got what they asked for.
xoopsinfo is an English support site, xoopswiki is where documentation in progress takes place, xoopsdocs is where completed documents are stored, and XOOPS end user is going to be here routing the traffic.

Advertising is gone, and the foundation that hasn't existed to help the project anyway in the year I have been here is gone. Ono made that decision. It there is to be a foundation it will have to be newly created, along with what ever else the DPT has in mind.

I have administration privileges on this wiki, and I will try to make sure it stays an even playing field.

Now, I've said my piece...
I don't know what is going to happen from here... but my bet is with the addition of the integration of XOOPS with the MediaWiki is it going to be good.

169 users on the sidebar 95 of which are in the Support Forums, are the community, they will make the final decision.

BS

Mamba
  • 2007/12/4 18:01

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Tom, I don't know what problems could there be.

But what you're implying is that somebody manually changes your messages and posts them somewhere where nobody is seeing them.

Just shortly before there was insinuation that messages from the mailbox were missing. It came out that it was a false alarm, but the first reaction was another conspiracy theory!

I don't know if your problem is easy to fix, and even if it is, if the person in charge has the time to do it right away. But let's not assume the worst!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

vaughan
  • 2007/12/4 19:53

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

BS you should keep your BS opinions to yourself unless you know what you are talking about. especially when you are misleading people with incorrect information.

Quote:

I am strongly of the opinion, that all this outage is due to two lines of code placed in Giba's file by someone with access to XOOPS server and SourceForge. (without Giba's knowledge)

what has giba's file in sourceforge got to do with xoops.org outage? absolutely nothing. for 1 those files in gibas distribution only affected gibas distribution, they were not located on xoops.org servers or XOOPS project SF servers. so the outages of xoops.org were not related.

Quote:

Having identified the files, the code and the method of access, I believe it is prudent to let DJ put the xoops.org on a server where if and when it goes down again in this matter, we know exactly where to expect the recovery to be handled.

prudent? yes we all know what prudence is..

and yes lol put xoops.org on a server where we know exactly where to expect recovery.. yup the foundation servers are managed full time by surpass hosting.. coincidentally DJ's private/personal server which is where xoops.org now is is also at surpass hosting.. so the support & recovery would be done by exactly the same people at surpass hosting. so NO it was not necessary to not use the foundation servers, except for the fact that DJ wants the foundation gone, and he wanted 150% control. again your opinion was ill informed and incomplete.

Quote:

am very resentful to the fact that XI was started by the person that publically stated he could take down a server with two lines of php code programing. I never doubted this fact and someone with that knowledge should have protected the backups. Instead there were none.

really why mention that in the same post when you also mention about 2 lines of code in gibas distribution. it does seem to an onlooker that you are insinuating that the two are tied somehow. google could give you those 2 lines of code.. lol the backups were done when he was in charge.. lol but they wasn't done since he quit. so those backups you refer to are not his responsibility. at least give the full account when you are voivcing your opinions.

Quote:

Advertising is gone, and the foundation that hasn't existed to help the project anyway in the year I have been here is gone. Ono made that decision. It there is to be a foundation it will have to be newly created, along with what ever else the DPT has in mind.

the foundation is still here deary.. ono made that decision? really? please give proof of that.. it was not ono's decision to make.. ono only owns the domain name, not the project. again you are probably misunderstanding.

ono passed the rights to use the domain name over to DJ. but only DJ will have made the decision to try and remove the foundation.. if you don't know exactly, then don't make statements that can be taken as gospel.

that's a pretty bold statement about the foundation being newly created again..

yet again DJ has gone against the wishes of the proposal committee, he is repetitive in his insistence to do everything that he wants when he wants.

if he won't listen to the proposal committee now, why the hell will he listen to the committee when/if they ask him to reverse all the changes he has made so far? the answer is he will not, the committee is another waste of everyones time.

BlueStocking

Vaughan doesn't need this information, he has it.

So for those watching this exchange, DJ is with the same host but paid the adddition for the dedicated server instead of the offered shared hosting also provided by Surpass Hosting.

Relevant to conversation excerpt from above article.

Dedicated hosting costs more, but offers more features and benefits. With dedicated hosting, you're the only site on the server and have your own IP address. A dedicated IP address used to be a requirement for SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption, but some hosting companies now offer it as part of virtual hosting packages.

Because you have the server to yourself, dedicating hosting is more expensive. It's like owning a home instead of renting an apartment. Like any homeowner, your costs will be higher, but there are benefits to the arrangement:

More control: You don't have to worry about someone's bad script slowing or crashing the server. You have only yourself to blame if that happens!

More

This is a very important feature of dedicated servers and in view of recent events a must have for xoops.org.

As stated previously, this is my strong opinion.

BS
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

vaughan
  • 2007/12/4 21:04

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

foundation servers are dedicated servers BS. 1 server for the sites and a totally seperate dedicated server just for the MySQL database.

they are not shared servers. again you are misinformed and painting a picture that is only half correct.

MadFish
  • 2007/12/5 4:51

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
really why mention that in the same post when you also mention about 2 lines of code in gibas distribution. it does seem to an onlooker that you are insinuating that the two are tied somehow.

It does indeed. In my opinion the insinuation made by Bluestocking is baseless and disgraceful, and unacceptable conduct from an 'admin'.

Quote:
As I see it the turf war is over, everybody got what they asked for. xoopsinfo is an English support site, xoopswiki is where documentation in progress takes place, xoopsdocs is where completed documents are stored, and XOOPS end user is going to be here routing the traffic...It there is to be a foundation it will have to be newly created, along with what ever else the DPT has in mind.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I assume this simply another 'fishing expedition' on your part. Sorry, try changing your bait.

tom
  • 2007/12/5 4:53

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

I'll come back to BS's BS in a moment.

Quote:
But what you're implying is that somebody manually changes your messages and posts them somewhere where nobody is seeing them.

OK lets see I post one to Q&A, it's moved to another category-forum. I posted another and it's moved, and again, but hold on, hmmm no it's moved.

Safe bet is they are being moved..........

Quote:
Just shortly before there was insinuation that messages from the mailbox were missing. It came out that it was a false alarm, but the first reaction was another conspiracy theory!

Where did I post in that, I can't see it?

My posts were still moved forums, so how is that a conspiracy?

Posts were still missing as stated in that thread, thats not a conspiracy either?

So whats your point?

Quote:
I don't know if your problem is easy to fix, and even if it is, if the person in charge has the time to do it right away. But let's not assume the worst!

I'm not assuming the worst, I posted to one forum and category, it appears on the front page, it's then moved to another forum/category and voila it's gone, because they don't have the forum/category showing on the front recent.

Now back to BS's BS......

Ohh hold seems like Vaughan said it perfectly their nice summery but don't hold back Vaughan, you ain't even touched the surface here, but then again that would 500 page A4 note book full, yeah keep it short.

Quote:
So for those watching this exchange, DJ is with the same host but paid the adddition for the dedicated server instead of the offered shared hosting also provided by Surpass Hosting.

ha ha, you crack me up, nearly fell of my chair laughing, shared? lol

And the insinuation you made about a particular person, some people may have disagreements with him, some people may not like him or get on with him, but he sweated blood for this project and gave years of dedicated service, you Muppet.

And for references made, this is the thread BS is talking about:

WE ARE BAAACCCK..... XOOPS is online

Quote:
Mamba,
1) It is technical.

Yes very technical, locate post, move ahh there it is moved to another forum/category, ohh yeah and this one doesn't appear in the recent block.
Kind Regards.
Tom

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits