Kasch
Major help needed fixing Xoops-based community
  • 2007/10/4 8:24

• Kasch

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/9 2

This is really a long shoot from my side but I can not just let my community fade away without trying to reach for help. Unfortunately I have reached "way's end" with XOOPS because I can not fix PHP-problems myself. There are three options for me:

1. Getting help from a dedicated Xoops-developer to clean up and fix all the serious bugs in my XOOPS 2.2.x-community.

2. Getting help to downgrade from XOOPS 2.2.x to 2.0.x because the downgrade script is not working for me and some important modules as the discussion board won't be downgraded.

3. Getting help from a skilled PHP-programmer to port my Xoops-community to Joomla. (Unlikely I suppose)

The site I am running is a Xoops-community in Swedish, dedicated to "the old ways/belief", i.e. norse mythology, folk lore and heathenry. It started around 2001 and has been up running with XOOPS since the beginning of 2004 and is pretty well known within the Swedish and Scandinavian heathen society. Among other things it contains a rather comprehensive textarchive/library, a discussion board that is a good source of knowledge to contemporary norse heathenry and folk lore, a norse folk lore and mythtology dictionary, a picture archive and a lot more.

The main problems with the community are:

- The Inbox/PM-function is missing completely since the unfortunate upgrade to v. 2.2.x.

- The admin pages are pretty unstable and Admin-Modules are very unstable and looks really odd.

- The whole site is pretty unstable: Recently the News module admin stopped working for no reason at all. Modules does'nt show up at all in the admin for installation or won't function as they should, even though they are developed for v. 2.2. The level/exp etc in the discussion boards suddenly was reseted for no obvious reason. Most modules runs with different small but annoying errors. And so on.

We are an informal community with no income at all so we can not pay more than a very symbolic amount of money (out of my own pocket). But it would be sad to bury this rather vast documentation of norse heathenry, mythology and folk lore without trying to do all things possible to save it. I have, among with lots of other members, put thousands of hours to get the community up running and creating all the content. I am rather close to give up though, since I can not fix the problems myself and especially since it is getting increasingly hard for me to develop the site with Xoops.

If anyone feel dedicated to this project, please let me know. I know it would be a lot of unpayed work so I have no expectations. But at least I have to try.

Best regards,

/Karl Schultz
The Gimle Network
http://gimle.drengskap.com

terrion
Re: Major help needed fixing Xoops-based community
  • 2007/10/4 17:27

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

Quote:

Kasch wrote:
This is really a long shoot from my side but I can not just let my community fade away without trying to reach for help. Unfortunately I have reached "way's end" with XOOPS because I can not fix PHP-problems myself. There are three options for me:

1. Getting help from a dedicated Xoops-developer to clean up and fix all the serious bugs in my XOOPS 2.2.x-community.

2. Getting help to downgrade from XOOPS 2.2.x to 2.0.x because the downgrade script is not working for me and some important modules as the discussion board won't be downgraded.

3. Getting help from a skilled PHP-programmer to port my Xoops-community to Joomla. (Unlikely I suppose)

The site I am running is a Xoops-community in Swedish, dedicated to "the old ways/belief", i.e. norse mythology, folk lore and heathenry. It started around 2001 and has been up running with XOOPS since the beginning of 2004 and is pretty well known within the Swedish and Scandinavian heathen society. Among other things it contains a rather comprehensive textarchive/library, a discussion board that is a good source of knowledge to contemporary norse heathenry and folk lore, a norse folk lore and mythtology dictionary, a picture archive and a lot more.

The main problems with the community are:

- The Inbox/PM-function is missing completely since the unfortunate upgrade to v. 2.2.x.

- The admin pages are pretty unstable and Admin-Modules are very unstable and looks really odd.

- The whole site is pretty unstable: Recently the News module admin stopped working for no reason at all. Modules does'nt show up at all in the admin for installation or won't function as they should, even though they are developed for v. 2.2. The level/exp etc in the discussion boards suddenly was reseted for no obvious reason. Most modules runs with different small but annoying errors. And so on.

We are an informal community with no income at all so we can not pay more than a very symbolic amount of money (out of my own pocket). But it would be sad to bury this rather vast documentation of norse heathenry, mythology and folk lore without trying to do all things possible to save it. I have, among with lots of other members, put thousands of hours to get the community up running and creating all the content. I am rather close to give up though, since I can not fix the problems myself and especially since it is getting increasingly hard for me to develop the site with Xoops.

If anyone feel dedicated to this project, please let me know. I know it would be a lot of unpayed work so I have no expectations. But at least I have to try.

Best regards,

/Karl Schultz
The Gimle Network
http://gimle.drengskap.com

Greetings Karl,

Man, I feel your pain. I've been fighting to keep a handful of small community sites running the 2.2.x branch limping a long now for some time.

I'm no XOOPS expert, but I'd be willing to take a look at the issues you talked about above. Give me your email address using the PM module here and we'll see if we can work something out. Or maybe stop by the site I spend most of my time at ... www.TempleOfTheJediForce.org (my username there is admin, lol) and maybe we can figure out how to get you stabalized. I'm a bit of a heathen my self, we gotta stick together man.

On a positive note, I really believe that the period we're in now will be the darkest moments before the dawn. Don't give up on XOOPS just yet, it's going to be coming back stong I suspect.

Cheers,
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

Kasch
  • 2007/10/5 7:21

• Kasch

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/9 2

OK, great! I've PM:ed you.

mjmurphy5371

Sorry to hijack but I have major issues with a community as well!

www.midwestwakeboarder.com and almost NO modules are working properly.

Help anyone?

Login

Who's Online

267 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 267

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits