hnic_spanks
importing a database

i have to import my database in phpmyadmin, but i have no idea what a database file looks like and where to find it...
i suppose this database was automatically made when i made my XOOPS site offline?
thanks

debianus
Re: importing a database
  • 2007/9/27 15:21

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

It could help you
http://www.xoopswiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Starting_a_New_XOOPS_Site

hnic_spanks

i'm already using that and i'm stuck at step 4 of day 23...

Anonymous
  • 2007/9/27 15:35

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
hnic_spanks wrote:

i have to import my database in phpmyadmin, but i have no idea what a database file looks like and where to find it...

Your database file will be a "MySQL" database.

It is almost certain that you won't actually be able to see it inside your webspace using your FTP client. It will be elsewhere on your host's server.

If you login to your webspace through your host's webspace you should have access to the "Control Panel" through which you should able to access your database. Many "Control Panels" actually have phpmyadmin built in.

In control panel/phpmyadmin, you can import your backed-up database into another database by chosing to "Edit Database" (or similar link), clicking on the "SQL" tab on the resulting screen and navigating to the back-up file. Then click "Go".

Quote:
hnic_spanks wrote:

i suppose this database was automatically made when i made my XOOPS site offline?

You made a XOOPS site offline? How?

Do you mean that you made a site using WAMP or similar on your PC? In that case, FTP over all your files to the server and then import the database to your databse on the server.

You will need to amend mainfile.php so that the following are correct:

xoops_url - this is the webaddress where your XOOPS site is
xoops_root_path - the actual physical path to your files on the server
database name - kinda self explanatory
database host - "localhost" usually works
database username
database password

Hope this helps

Your host company will be able to advise you of these if you don't already know.

hnic_spanks

Quote:

In control panel/phpmyadmin, you can import your backed-up database into another database by chosing to "Edit Database" (or similar link), clicking on the "SQL" tab on the resulting screen and navigating to the back-up file. Then click "Go".

and what does that backup file look like? there's a lot of .gz-files in my htdocs/uploads/backup directory but those all give errors

hnic_spanks

okay am i asking weird questions or is everybody just too lazy to answer this? please help me out cuz those last steps in the manual aren't very clear... thx

Anonymous
  • 2007/10/4 21:26

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
hnic_spanks wrote:

okay am i asking weird questions or is everybody just too lazy to answer this?

Sorry - I'd assumed that someone would have helped you with this.

Quote:
hnic_spanks wrote:

please help me out cuz those last steps in the manual aren't very clear... thx

When you make your backup, make sure that the "Save as file" box is "checked". When you hit the "Go" button you will get a dialogue box asking if you want to open or save the file. Choose "Save" and you will then be prompted for a location (on your PC) to save the file.

Assuming that you choose "gzip" compression then your backup file will be saved as "databasename.gz.sql"

There are some good instructions here and here. If your host has CPanel installed that use that to navigate to/edit your database then follow the instructions for the "Export" procedure in the linked instructions.

If your database is small then you could choose not to compress the database. You would then get a file on your PC called "databasename.sql". You can open this with notepad/wordpad and see what's inside

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits