tom
Public Request for Commuication Teams access to news - XCouncil
  • 2007/6/17 2:37

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

As a council member I made this request within the Council forums.

Please can the com's team leaders have access to the spotlight block admin, there is currently news on XOOPS security and a new patch release that isn't spotlighted, this should be spotlighted for the benefit of all the community, but there is nothing I can personally do about this.

For those reading this that haven't seen the latest SECURITY news:

Quote:
Posted by phppp on 2007/6/14 13:37:52

Security : vulnerability in phpmailer

A vulnerability is reported in PHPMailer, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a vulnerable system if Sendmail method is enabled.

Although the issue is not critical in XOOPS environment, we would suggest to switch to other methods than Sendmail, or to download quick fixes:
fix for XOOPS 2.0*
fix for XOOPS 2.2*

Note: official response and solutions are still being waited from phpmailer development group, and will be released in XOOPS 2.017 and XOOPS 2.25

Thank GIJOE, irmtfan, vaughan etc for reporting and solutions.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

skenow
Re: Public Request for Commuication Teams access to news - XCouncil
  • 2007/6/17 2:59

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Quote:

tom wrote:

Please can the com's team leaders have access to the spotlight block admin, there is currently news on XOOPS security and a new patch release that isn't spotlighted, this should be spotlighted for the benefit of all the community, but there is nothing I can personally do about this.

I second this request - the current features news categories a great, but there are several categories that are not featured and those articles never get front page mention, at all. Perhaps even a rethink about the categories and blocks for news is called for.

tom
  • 2007/6/17 3:19

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

skenow wrote:

I second this request - the current features news categories a great, but there are several categories that are not featured and those articles never get front page mention, at all. Perhaps even a rethink about the categories and blocks for news is called for.

I couldn't agree more Skenow.
Kind Regards.
Tom

vaughan
  • 2007/6/17 8:10

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

i spotlighted the article for you, but i agree spotlight should come under the responsibility of the comms team

phppp
  • 2007/6/17 13:01

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

1 I don't think it necessary to spot-lighten the news although it should be displayed on front page in some way.

2 the communication team has not been announced yet. Its access will be assigned once the team is officially established.

3 there is no Council member since the Council is not built yet although I invited tom and JMorris as temporary members for the procedure of team establishment.

Peekay
  • 2007/6/17 13:18

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

A permanent spotlight link to security articles on the homepage would be good for XOOPS IMHO. If new users can see that no security patches and advisories have been required for several months, this reinforces the stability of Xoops.

It would also counteract some of the 'I've been hacked' forum comments. These must be off-putting to newcomers, but in many instances they turn out to be down to failings of the web host, not the XOOPS CMS.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

tom
  • 2007/6/17 14:09

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
by phppp on 2007/6/17 14:01:12

1 I don't think it necessary to spot-lighten the news although it should be displayed on front page in some way.

2 the communication team has not been announced yet. Its access will be assigned once the team is officially established.

3 there is no Council member since the Council is not built yet although I invited tom and JMorris as temporary members for the procedure of team establishment.

Well that's what you call a public dressing down, you made the right decision there despite it possibly being an unpopular one.

Congratulations on that.

I've addressed these issues with you in person over the private council forums and via msn, with little effect back so I'll now comment on a point by point basis:

1. Ok lets not spotlight security news as you say, however personally though I feel this is very important to the community in that they can see security updates in a bold manor on the front page to enable them to update, if they miss this and get their servers hacked, surely that we would be at some partial fault for not better advising our community.

2. OK shall we scrap all the current work done, which was being prepared to be published?

I'm not sure here, as my impression was that we had the go ahead, especially after our chats on the private council forum and via MSN

3. ahh now I understand, perhaps better communication in the future would prevent me overstepping the line again, so whats the council for if it's not established yet it has members?

Just calling for clarification here.

Perhaps you wish to carry the world on your shoulders and I should step down from 'unofficial' positions for you, I can't handle one thing being said and agreed, then something different being done.

Your welcome to keep the work I did with the com's team, should I step from this 'unofficial' position.

Also I've been in contact with a nuke developer whom is considering supporting his module as an XOOPS version too, he's just testing the system and so, who should I pass him onto as part of XOOPS promotion and communications?
Kind Regards.
Tom

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits