preachur
"Could not register new user" - FIXED
  • 2007/6/13 18:14

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

I found many threads about this problem, most unresolved, dating back to early last year. It started (for me) when the user activation emails stopped going out for no apparent reason. I tried all the suggestions I found in the forums to no avail. There was no debug information, and no visible reason for the problem.

Then, after I re-uploaded all the core files and updated the system and member modules, everyone who tried to register got the error: "Could not register new user" - Still no debug information and I was pretty frustrated. I thought about re-building the whole site, but I am glad I didn't.

Finally - I went into phpMyAdmin, and compared the structure of that user database with one that works. I found a simple problem, fixed it, and now the activations and registrations work fine.

The fix:

1) Opened XOOPS database in phpMyAdmin.
2) Browsed the table xoops_users.
3) Clicked on the "structure" tab at the top.
4) Changed the default value for "level" from '1' to '0'

Once I saved that everything went back to normal and now everything works fine again. I don't know HOW that value got changed in the first place, as it all worked fine a week ago. Regardless, that fixed it for me. Maybe someone else is dealing with the same problem, and this will help.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

vaughan
Re: "Could not register new user" - FIXED
  • 2007/6/13 19:21

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

thanks for the heads up - maybe it will come in useful for someone in future :)

i haven't come across that exact problem before altho i have had issues with "could not register new user" it wasn't your solution in my case(s) what was the problem..

but it's 1 more thing to try if others have the same :)

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits