nachenko
Striping whitespace and newlines? (should I bother?)
  • 2007/5/15 21:10

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

Hi!

I have a customer that runs a XOOPS site that is painfully slow, and they can't move to a more powerful server for the most stupid reason you could ever hear: it belongs to a public University and some "bureaucrazy" fat cat denies authorization.

http://www.ugr.es/~ncog

Activating caches is possible but it seems not enough. I was thinking about removing all unneeded whitespace, newlines and all this stuff that makes HTML readable to humans but just a waste of space for computers. XOOPS uses output buffer, so it can be done.

I have two (2) questions:

1 - Should I bother? I mean, is it worth the effort?

2 - I expected to find a PHP function for this, but no luck, so I should write a custom function?

skenow
Re: Striping whitespace and newlines? (should I bother?)
  • 2007/5/15 22:03

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Can you add/use an htaccess file? I have had some OK results by using http compression on the server to improve things.

php_flag zlib.output_compression on
php_value zlib
.output_compression_level 5

nachenko
Re: Striping whitespace and newlines? (should I bother?)
  • 2007/5/15 22:20

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

Don't really know, the best thing I can say about their server is that it totally sucks (yes, this is the best I can say).

That's why I'm looking for "PHP-driven solutions I can control". I activated the caches, although I'd find useful some documentation about how it works. Example: What should be the effect of the cache in "contact us" module? I'll have to try and see what happens.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits